- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 430 carb advice

430 carb advice

'aquired' a 69 430 = trans from a friend that im rebuilding and the holley (4150) on it is well past its retirement age so im looking to replace it.

I could get it rebuilt here in the uk but that will cost me the same as a new edelbrock. (thunder 800)

advice anyone ?

its mildly modified in the form of head porting. i will be putting custom headers on it too once again im looking for advice on that too.

should i invest in a manifold too or port the stock one and block the exhaust cross holes off ?

machining work is not a problem as i have a full cnc shop at my disposal.

CFM i calculated at 680 of thereabouts.

TIA

cmon 41 views and no reply....

help a guy out wont you ?

we all started somewhere

What car is it going into?
    What is your objective, mileage, street performance, all out?
    What transmission and gears are going to be behind it?

You can stop adding at whatever point you wish, some head porting is good on any motor. Headers are always good (though many justifiably consider them a pain). An intake is just another step. I have used both of your suggestions and they work just fine (hood clearance can be a factor). I wouldn't put less than a 750 cfm carb on it. A spread bore gives you better mileage and great performance. You should do all the oiling mod recommended in the Buick performance build books. The oiling mods aren't on this site yet, but all your rebuild specs are in the reference section along with instructions in the 1967 chassis manual.

Enjoy

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks for the reply Bob

now .... dont laugh.

she's not destined for a car its going into a trike.

its not my first trike build and i know how i want to do it but i was to go right through the motor and do a proper job.

performance issnt really my goal ... reliability, economy, noise and looks are my main aims. it also helps i used to own a 75 riviera when i lived in new orleans so im looking forward to hearing that v8 again i can tell you.

its got the 400 transmission with it and that will be feeding a nissan Z32 viscious LSD with IRS at the rear... not sure about the ratio but from what i remember it seemed a bit long but i can alter that no bother...

ive already made use of the chassis service manual and bought a copy of the buick performance book and am in the middle of doing the oil mods now.

ive polished the combustion chambers and will be porting the intake next week exhaust will have to wait till i find or make some headers to match it to.

core shift seems good too ... lifter bores are only a couple of mm out (1/16")

now if i can only undo that nut on the harmonic balancer !!!

thanks for your advice on the cfm of the carb...

maybe i should start a build log ... is there a place on the forum for one ? this is of course if i dont get dragged into the street and stoned for putting a v8 into a trike

TRIKE?!?!?!?

Performance shouldn't be much of a problem...

A 1/2" air wrench should pull the bolt. Use a proper balancer puller after that.

The site is about to undergo an upgrade, so don't start until it is done. Then there should be a couple of spots for something like a build.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

the lad that had the car 'thought it would look better' as a convertable so he cut the roof off with a grinder

the whole thing rotted through in about 6 months... he saved the engine b4 it went to the crusher ... the engine lived in a shed for 7 years until i rescued it.

always been into bikes and trikes ... built my last trike and learned alot fom it and i was keen to build something a bit different from the rest and so when the opportunity of this engine came along i grabbed it....

people in the uk tend to build V8 trikes with the piddly rover 3.5 block and that makes only 135 horse stock so this will really be something to see when its finished

Last edited by bigfinger; 02-17-2011 at 04:18 AM.

I like the Holley square bore for ease of tune (750-850 cfm). You would have to have your intake modified to fit a square bore or pick up an aftermarket intake. I don't know if they are as available there as here, but they are very common here and easy to pick up cheap. You will have less economy then a Q-jet (larger primaries), but they are easy to tune and have a large aftermarket following.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

with the piddly rover 3.5 block

you're aware that the 3.5L Rover ( and derivatives ) are all members of the Small Block Buick engine family, yes?

it's basically the old 215ci Buick converted to metric measurements.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    with the piddly rover 3.5 block

you're aware that the 3.5L Rover ( and derivatives ) are all members of the Small Block Buick engine family, yes?

it's basically the old 215ci Buick converted to metric measurements.
    I am aware its one of the reasons i felt confident to overhaul the 430 as i have worked on the rover v8 before.

so, how is your Rover expertise carrying over?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)