Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZDDP oil additives vs. roller lifters - opinions?

My take above is just in reporting facts and not opinions. I suppose one should have a point of view but I rarely do. Apples to oranges in comparing 50 year old oil specs to any given time frame up till today oil specs and then tomorrow will still be as different as todays blend stocks are to the 50 year old specs. It is all circular.

Bottom line is if you have a non roller cam engine you need the DZZP to comfort the parts as they get impacted no matter what brand of today's dino oil you choose.

You don't need racing oil as that has it's own hidden demons as well when used in a bumper to bumper traffic wanna be racer's car. All the automotive contemporary oils of today have a lot going for them, little of which is of any outstanding benefit to 50 year old engines.

If you are looking for advice then I would say this for your 50 year plus old engine used under the conditions it was designed and engineered to operate under.
    Use any dino oil with low ash and acid content. Add the DZZP. Change your oil and filter every 2500 miles and you will not have any lube related problems.
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

Another opinion on oil and roller lifters

Dear Team Buick members,

Jim Weise posted on his V-8 Buick forum a summary of a presentation he attended on new oil technology. It was put on by Joe Gibbs racing and clearly recommended Joe Gibbs oil products. However, there are some interesting points:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=222499

Presented was some solid evidence that even with roller lifters, classic engines need an oil with a ZDDP level equivalent to what was existed when these engines were first developed.

So more food for thought on this topic.

Cheers, Edouard
    Caretaker of a 1965 Buick Special "billy goat"!