- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall valve covers

Tall valve covers

I just Bought a '70 Electra 225 and intend to hot rod it. First up is engine build. I have searched for some hours on-line, and cannot find tall valve covers for the 455 that is in it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 1970deuce&1/4 View Post
    I just Bought a '70 Electra 225 and intend to hot rod it. First up is engine build. I have searched for some hours on-line, and cannot find tall valve covers for the 455 that is in it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'm opting towards custom sheet metal tappet covers. Plenty on clearance and able to add on if wanted too.

Www.TAPerformance.com doesnt have it?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

TA has some very nice looking valve covers, with no spec on height, I am thinking they are stock. I seem to recall in the searches I made, having seen some kind of spacer. I may look into that.

Never heard of spacers for a Buick being available. An actual phone call to TA would be the quick way to find out if their valve covers are taller. I suspect that they are, as most aftermarket roller rocker assemblies need taller valve covers and they sell roller rockers.
    How much hot rod horsepower does tall valve covers give ya?

Talking

Not my first 455. In '89 I took a motor out of a '74 Century wagon, had it bored over, used stock heads - 3 angle valve job - Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750, Accel ignition, headers made for Skylark/GS stuck it in a '69 225. I think we did pretty good. Following the same basic blueprint this time, but I have a much nicer car to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRivy View Post
    Never heard of spacers for a Buick being available. An actual phone call to TA would be the quick way to find out if their valve covers are taller. I suspect that they are, as most aftermarket roller rocker assemblies need taller valve covers and they sell roller rockers.
    How much hot rod horsepower does tall valve covers give ya?

No, The question should be how much horsepower is lost do to not having roller rockers and not having the rt valve covers? Approximately 5 to 20 horsepower, depending on roller rockers!! and having the wrong Valve covers with roller rockers will clatter like a b---h and ruin the valve covers and roller rockers.

Sounds like GMCGruther has done this once or twice
    Last edited by Alisa64; 04-11-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

Yep, and after a couple of more times he might figure out that I was making a joke concerning dress up goodies not making you any more power.
    Chrome don't make it go any faster. The jury is still out on fuzzy dice though!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRivy View Post
    Yep, and after a couple of more times he might figure out that I was making a joke concerning dress up goodies not making you any more power.
    Chrome don't make it go any faster. The jury is still out on fuzzy dice though!
    If this guy is wanting pretty tappet covers! So be it, but like you said waste of money for now, Just go soda blast the old ones and a couple of coats of any color you want, they even have aniodised(spelled wrong sorry) colors,Red,Blue,and many more colors, It's best to spray the object with silver paint or a gold color first,then use your Red,blue or what ever color you want. It'll look good.