- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Aluminum 'BUICK' Valve Covers and other 'speed' parts

Aluminum 'BUICK' Valve Covers and other 'speed' parts

So, I'm building a traditional hot rod and was going to use a Nailhead motor until I ran into a deal on a Caddy that I couldn't refuse, so it's time to offload my Buick parts. What I have is a 264 nailhead with 60's hurst 'hot rod' motor mounts, an old adaptor to a muncie 4-speed, and a set of the aluminum raised-letter BUICK valve covers. I also have a couple extra flywheels and starters. It was a package deal that a friend pulled out of an old hot rod. I saw an eBay ad awhile back for a set of the REAL valve covers and mine had the same foundry markings as these, so I think they may be real parts, not knock-offs.

Valve Covers
    So, Buick dudes, how do I tell if they're real? What are they from? And what are they worth? I don't wanna get rich or anything, just not trying to get screwed by someone who's gonna flip em to make a couple bucks. I'd like to see them end up on the right motor, maybe even the right car.

Flywheels/Starters
    I think the flywheels may be somewhat rare due to the fact that most Buicks had autos, them being luxury cars, but I don't know what a 264 flywheel fits. I don't want to sell someone something that doesn't fit their vehicle. Any idea on fair market value?

Thanks in advance and I know these types of posts can be annoying, but I'm going to price my stuff fairly, just trying to make sure I don't get completely hosed. Also, before someone calls me out on this, I posted the same thing on another forum, just gather info AND I already used the search feature to no avail and searched completed eBay listings.

I believe that the valve covers should have the Winters Foundry "snowflake" cast into them on the inside if they are OEM. They would have come on the late 401/425 Nailheads as an option on standard cars and Part of the package on GS cars with the dual quads. I don't know what they are currently going for, sorry. As with anything, condition is everything.
    The 264 flywheels may be rare but I believe that the demand is probably low. The 264 is probably one of the least desirable Nailheads out there as it's the small one. If the flywheel is interchangeable with a 401 you may get some demand for it. If it's not then you might have it for awhile. Again, condition. How are the ring gear teeth?
    The 264 would have been the standard issue engine for the smaller more "economy" Buick's like the Special. In the early '50's a lot of them still came with manual transmissions. Roadmasters which had the bigger engine, the 322, would almost undoubtedly have an automatic trans.
    You might get a better answer on the HAMB site. It is usually populated with guys doing what you were thinking about doing with this stuff.

Valve Covers

timhypo, how can I contact you?

This flake?

suntreemcanic - I sent you a private message and an email.

Yup all that stuff is pretty much crap and I'll be happy to take it off our hands and get it out of your way. You will have to pay the shipping. Seriously, if you get the word to the right group of motor heads I'm sure someone will "Need" that stuff.