- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1950 Buick Super Front Wheel wobbble...bent rim?

1950 Buick Super Front Wheel wobbble...bent rim?

Hello All,
    I have restored the inside and outside of the 1950 Buick Super 4 door over the last 4 months and Have driven the car back and forth down the driveway with no problems. Before I take her around the block I need some advice. The thing I'm worried about is when I had the car up on jack stands the driver side wheel when spun would wobble pretty badly like a bent rim on a kids bike.
    So my question is what rims are compatible with the 1950 rim that is on there. Do I have to find another 1950 buick or are there later models that will work? I'd like to be able to find something at a local junk yard here in LA instead of having to wait and deal with shipping etc...Also, what size tires do these usually take? I'm looking to find 4 decent used tires for the time being.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Sean

1950 Super Front Wheel Wobble

If you have restored your beauty inside and out, you must have an owners manual. Under tires you'll find the size. Do you have a spare wheel and tire in the trunk?
    Did you repack the front wheel bearings? Were the bearings adjusted according to the manual?
    If you don't have a manual try www.bobsautomobilia.com

Rim

The thing to remember about these rims, is that they are not stud & Lug, but rather bolt and guide pin. Without the guide pin holes you will no doubt have a rough time bolting the rim on.

One thing you can try is to rotate that rim to the rear and see if it makes a difference. After all, a little wobble back there won't much affect your steering.

There's a lot to consider for wheel wobble in these cars, but if, as you say, it's visible on a jack stand, then you are probably correct in the rim damage assessment, the other likelihood is bearings.

Other things to watch for are the king pins, knee shock, and of course drag bar knuckles.