Thread: Help Putting fluid 1961 Electra Converitlbe Top

Help Putting fluid 1961 Electra Converitlbe Top

Trying to figure out how to put fluid in hydrolic pump for a 1961 Buick 225 Convertible. What type of fluid do I need and were does the fluid go?? What tools do I need?? All help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hydraulic jack oil will work but you may find a call-out in you owners manual for something else. I have always just used the jack oil when adding fluid to any of my convertible tops and have never had any problems.

To add fluid remove the fill plug that is usually on the upper right side (passengers) of the pump then I use a plastic bottle with a nipple that I attach to a plastic or rubber hose that will fit the hole. After you have it full make sure you leave a towel under it and run the top up and down to make sure the fluid is not too high before installing the plug.

That looks like a super nice ride!
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

1961 Buick

How about Transmission fluid?? I was told that was what was used when new?? I have no idea just dont want to make a mistake. We have a 71 Buick GS Convertible but we have never had to add fluid. Found the 1961 Buick Electra in a building. One Owner orginail paint interior, low miles owner was 93 years old. No rust. Almost MINT SHAPE. Very lucky to have it in my collection. Can't wait until the snow is gone to go enjoy it.

Originally the top pump reservoir was filled with brake fluid from the factory. Before I refill with ANYTHING I usually remove the reservoir cover & clean out all the CRUD from years of moisture accumulation & refill with Dextron 111 ATF or hydraulic fluid. You will be utterly surprised at the accumulation build-up in the reservoir housing.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Nice looking car.
    Before adding fluid, you need to know what is in it now.
    If the car has been restored, try to check with the restorer.
    I do not like brake fluid for the reasons that are obvious on any old brake system.
    Most use the ATF in their systems.
    For a complete new system, I like DOT5 silicone.
    There is probably a cover over your pump, under the top well.
    If you can lower the top, that should remove most of the air from the lift cylinders. Then fill thru the top of the reservoir.
    Cycle the top a couple of times to be sure all air is clear, and check the level with the top down.

The easy way to tell what is currently in the pump is to look at the translucent lines. If the fluid is dark, it's ATF. If the fluid is light, it's hydraulic fluid. Under no circumstances is it brake fluid. That will ruin the pump. If there is no fluid visible, there will be a stamping on the case of the pump that will tell you to use either the ATF or the Hydraulic oil. Trust me on this. I did auto upholstery for 38 years before retiring, and have filled hundreds of pumps. BTW the easy way to get the air out of the lines is to run the top up and down a few times, then refill the pump reservoir.
    Nice looking car. Mine's a 62 Invicta Convertible.
    Best Regards,
    Ron