From the Reference Section:
- Street Cam Selection Guide
- Buick 455 O.E. Camshafts
- High 10's Secrets for Your Buick 455
- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need help with my first classic Car..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile Need help with my first classic Car..

    Hi I just purchased a 1969 Electra 225 (430 big block) and it's my first classic. I'm not sure where to start but I know I just want it to be a car that I could drive on a daily if I wanted to. So I mainly need advice on good engine serums and whatevr other information you may have I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.. Oh also if I wanted to swap the 430 for a 455 how difficult would that be ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    114
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0

    Look around for more info.

    Dear Kyng,

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyng View Post
    Hi I just purchased a 1969 Electra 225 (430 big block) and it's my first classic. I'm not sure where to start but I know I just want it to be a car that I could drive on a daily if I wanted to. So I mainly need advice on good engine serums and whatevr other information you may have I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.. Oh also if I wanted to swap the 430 for a 455 how difficult would that be ?
    I'm new around here too and you'll find that there is so much activity that you may not get noticed without asking some more specific questions. A great thing to do is take advantage of the search feature and find out what other folks have done.

    I haven't look at your case, but I think it is highly likely that you could swap a 455 for the 430. I'm told that I could at least mount a 455 in my 1965 Buick Special on the same engine mounts even! However, that sure looks like an "extreme fit" to me. For your car it shouldn't be pushing anything.

    Welcome aboard and keep asking, eventually you'll find a question that the tickles the fancy of the gurus on the site!

    Cheers, Edouard

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    239
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    16
    Welcome to Team Buick !!
    The Electra 225 is certainly a top-of-the-line luxury cruiser.
    If the 430 in your '69 225 is a good, healthy. running engine, why would you even consider swapping for a 455 ?
    The 430 is a very reliable engine and is original to the car. A 430/455 swap is relatively easy, but it's a 'make work' project that will not improve the performance of the car, (imho) !!
    Last edited by Rivman; 01-05-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Waring, Tx
    Posts
    442
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0
    welcome, and I agree with Randy above.

    Does the car run and drive now? Or is it a project? that would help a bunch on where to start.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

    We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

    www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elagache View Post
    Dear Kyng,



    I'm new around here too and you'll find that there is so much activity that you may not get noticed without asking some more specific questions. A great thing to do is take advantage of the search feature and find out what other folks have done.

    I haven't look at your case, but I think it is highly likely that you could swap a 455 for the 430. I'm told that I could at least mount a 455 in my 1965 Buick Special on the same engine mounts even! However, that sure looks like an "extreme fit" to me. For your car it shouldn't be pushing anything.

    Welcome aboard and keep asking, eventually you'll find a question that the tickles the fancy of the gurus on the site!

    Cheers, Edouard
    Thanks for the info !!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carmantx View Post
    welcome, and I agree with Randy above.

    Does the car run and drive now? Or is it a project? that would help a bunch on where to start.
    thanks for the welcome, and yes it running the only reason i asked because the guy I'm buying the car from offered to sell me the engine for a very good price but know that i've done a little more research on both engines i don't think i need it. i just need some idea on where would be a good place to start. http://www.teambuick.com/forums/imag...finishflag.gif

    other then that the car runs, I need to do some cosmetics maybe a rebuild but thats it for now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,724
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh also if I wanted to swap the 430 for a 455 how difficult would that be ?


    it's cake. externally, they're the same engine.

    you're unlikely to gain anything with the swap though. most of the 455s are low compression engines ( factory rated at 8.5:1 or worse ) while all of the 430s are high compression ( 10:1 ) so what you gain in cubes you give up in compression.


    if you ever do a rebuild make sure to look at the FAQ about oil passage upgrades and have a reputable Buick guy build it. if a Chevy guy puts it together it will probably grenade on you.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

    Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4
    My Feedback

    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    Oh also if I wanted to swap the 430 for a 455 how difficult would that be ?


    it's cake. externally, they're the same engine.

    you're unlikely to gain anything with the swap though. most of the 455s are low compression engines ( factory rated at 8.5:1 or worse ) while all of the 430s are high compression ( 10:1 ) so what you gain in cubes you give up in compression.


    if you ever do a rebuild make sure to look at the FAQ about oil passage upgrades and have a reputable Buick guy build it. if a Chevy guy puts it together it will probably grenade on you.
    Thanks for the info... And I guess will need to start the search for a Buick specialist in Cali Asap...

Similar Threads

  1. why do you drive a classic?
    By chevo in forum General Chat!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM
  2. hemmings classic car magizine
    By ncbuicks in forum General Chat!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
  3. Classic Car Restoration
    By Tom Gallagher in forum Restoration Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
  4. Hemmings Classic Car
    By Tom Gallagher in forum General Chat!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
  5. classic tires
    By kev987 in forum Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Frames
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 11:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Featured Items

TeamBuick.com Privacy Policy