- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1950 Buick Super...STARTER ISSUE??

1950 Buick Super...STARTER ISSUE??

Hey guys,
    So I put on my new fuel pump from Bob's Automobilia and it rained for 2 weeks straight here in LA so I didn't have a chance to test it before the Christmas holiday. It rained everyday. So on Sunday It finally cleared up and I hooked up a freshly charged battery and pushed the start button and I'm getting nothing. I dremeled all the connections with a wire wheel and they are now nice and shiny....still nothing. I'm baffled because it would crank over before it started raining...but now nothing. Is there a fuse or some way I can test the start directly from the battery to the starter? I have attached a pic before I cleaned all the connections.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Sean
    Last edited by rsvp4sean; 02-24-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Will not crank

If you still have the "push down on the gas pedal start system" turn the ignition switch to the run position and behind the carburetor there should be two wires attached to a switch. Get your volt meter or test light out, one of those wires should have 6 volts (12 if your care has been converted). Get a jumper wire and touch both of those terminals on that switch if the motor cranks then the problem is probably the switch. If there is no voltage go to the back of the ignition switch because that is where the power comes from to power the switch on the back of the carb. If jumping across does not activate the starter then we will have to check the relay next. I will cover that in a following post.

Gently tap the switch. There is a metalized cork ball in there which can get hung up. It this works then disassemble and clean tube.

Sorry. BUt I forgot to mention that its a PUSH BUTTON start not the one on the gas pedal.
    sk

1959 Buick Super STARTER ISSUE

Is it a Dyna Flow?

Is the selector lever in Park or Neutral?

Its a manual. 3 on the tree.
    sk

Progress???

So I tried to start her again tonight to no avail. BUT...I did what someone recommended and put a screw driver on the + side of the post on the back of the solenoid and jumped it over to the post beside it. The starter then started to spin. Does this mean that the starter is fine and I'm not getting power to the solenoid? Maybe the push button starter has gone bad? or Could it be a bad solenoid? Any of your expertise is appreciated?

Thanks,

Sean

Either that or the solenoid won't pull the arm far enough to make the contact

Can you get to the back of your starter button, one of the terminals should have battery voltage when the ignition is turned on. The other terminal will get battery voltage when you push the button. If the button works then your next place to go is those two smaller terminals on the top of the starter. One of those should get battery voltage when the starter button is pushed. That should excite the solenoid and pull the starter gear into the ring gear. You can use a test light probe instead of a volt meter and arrive at the same results. If you are not getting any battery voltage at the solenoid when you push the starter button then you will have to trace the wiring and find the problem. You could also take a short piece of heavy wire (the size powering your head lights) and jump it between the hot post on your starter (the battery cable one) and one of those terminals on top of the starter solenoid. I do not know which one to have you touch. Maybe someone else can identify those terminals. By jumping that should that activate the solenoid then the starter. Make sure it is out of gear!

Resolution!

So I spoke with BOB at Bob's Automobilia and he recommended that I put all the GUAGES back on the instrument cluster as one of them eventually leads to the starter switch. Well last night I gave it a shot and she turned right over!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thought I'd let you guys know in case someone else has a similar problem.