Thread: Barn yard find

Barn yard find

I recently moved to Oregon from Texas, and with al the rain and cold i had to find something to do with myself. So I located this 66 Buick Special Deluxe in Tigard, OR for 2k. I thought it was a good buy seem how it ran good and just needed the brakes bled. It was actually sitting in a old barn with a 1930's ford. The car is in great shape seems how its been in storage for years. It has a 300ci engine with the TH300. I also located a hard to find 4 barrel aluminum intake for the 300, but have since scraped the idea of keeping the 300. I picked up a 1970 455 engine code SF with a TH 400 for 500 buck that ive decided to go with. decoding all the parts it seems that I have a worthy transplant for my buick. Im still at my research phase with the engine, but as for the car I have a plan.
    It goes to paint in march for a coat of metallic gun metal grey inside and out followed by two black rally stripes the length of the car. The wheels will get a set of rally style 18x7 in the front and 18x10 in the rear. Ive also opted to put the 1' lowering springs all the way around, and add a sway bar from a 73 Trans am in the front. Im still researching what will fit the rear. Im still looking for fender well chrome so if anyone has a source give me a shout. I also have I a decent collection of parts that im not going to use including 4bbl aluminum intake, 300ci engine, and tranny. I am also looking for any ideas/help planning the rebuild of my 455. I was looking at the offy intake and possibly putting the speed pro high compression pistons in, but the piston i have are the 25cc dish which dont have bad compression themselves. A bigger issue is cam selection. There is so many options I just cant pin point the one that would work best for me. I would like an aggressive street/strip cam. I found TA perfomance has a good selection, and really narrows down the wide variety of options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool find. But what about the 30's ford?? I also just picked up a 455 for my 72 Skylark too. And doing my research on cams and such. I'm pretty sure im gonna go with the TA performance cam and there short headers. I also found an Offy 360 intake. Looking foward to installing it for sure.

Let me know what you decide to go with in regards to the cam. Looks like we are in the same boat and going the same directions with are builds.

Another thing for all you buick folks. Should I keep the Buick Special badging? I was wanting to place GS badging on it.

Troy

Oh, and as for the 30's ford, the guy said is was going to get it running agian, but he didnt really look like he was in the best of health. I'd say he would sell it for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by troys66 View Post
    Let me know what you decide to go with in regards to the cam. Looks like we are in the same boat and going the same directions with are builds.

Another thing for all you buick folks. Should I keep the Buick Special badging? I was wanting to place GS badging on it.

Troy
    Unless you opt for cutting in the hood scoops and fender gills, the GS badges may not look right.

Have you given any thought to stripping the badging and trim altogether and welding the holes up? Sometimes that lends more of a "mystique" as to what the car really is.
    1987 Grand National (36K Un-Molested Stocker! - 2nd Owner)
    1966 Skylark GS (#'s Matching 401 Nailhead, 2spd Auto, Bench Seat, CA Black Plates)
    1964 Skylark (87 Buick 3.8 Turbo, 200R4, bucket seats, CA Black Plates (87' GN powered hybrid)

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a viable option, and could save me some cash...

Oh, and if I keep the Special Badging I need the aluminum trim that goes on the passenger side quarter panel.

I also was looking for trim that goes around the window frame on the post models, and the trim on the trunk. I cant seem to locate the parts.

30's Ford

Troys66: if you are not going to follow up on the 30's Ford and Stonecoldcars is not following up I would be interested. Could you PM me with any info. Thank you. Suntreemcanic

Sure no problem. I actually need to call the guy, Ill tell him that someone may be interested and take some pics for you. Someone will have to pry the car from his hands. He's not going to do anything with it.

Troy