- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Non-Turbo V6 Mods?

Question Non-Turbo V6 Mods?

Hi... I am a newbie to this board, and own an 84 Regal with a 4.1L 4 barrel carb. I have a bunch of parts that used to be a Buick 455 (idiot was paid to assemble it and never finished the job) and am contemplating the pros and cons of finishing the V8 versus modifying the V6 to be a nice street car.

The word around the campfire so far is slap a turbo on the 4.1... I agree this would be an interesting proposition, however I am curious what a 4.1 could do without a turbo, and whether parts can be had for good power without a turbo. I like the idea of a turbo, but it would be really nice to embarrass Junior's daddy's Mustang GT with a Buick V6 and then be able to say it was all motor.

Not that I'm above running boost or nitrous... but I seem to remember a few NA Buick V6s being built-up that could give some V8s a run for their money... They've been a popular swap for Toyota pickups and the like for some time..... Anyone familiar with natural aspirated V6 power?
    Last edited by Anomaly; 12-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    James Collier

Check out my music at www.myspace.com/allergic2air

Also on FaceBook...

Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    Hi... I am a newbie to this board, and own an 84 Regal with a 4.1L 4 barrel carb. I have a bunch of parts that used to be a Buick 455 (idiot was paid to assemble it and never finished the job) and am contemplating the pros and cons of finishing the V8 versus modifying the V6 to be a nice street car.

The word around the campfire so far is slap a turbo on the 4.1... I agree this would be an interesting proposition, however I am curious what a 4.1 could do without a turbo, and whether parts can be had for good power without a turbo. I like the idea of a turbo, but it would be really nice to embarrass Junior's daddy's Mustang GT with a Buick V6 and then be able to say it was all motor.

Not that I'm above running boost or nitrous... but I seem to remember a few NA Buick V6s being built-up that could give some V8s a run for their money... They've been a popular swap for Toyota pickups and the like for some time..... Anyone familiar with natural aspirated V6 power?
    The 4.1 is a good engine, however for a full weight car you would spend a lot of $ to get ANYWHERE close to a stock Buick 350. You could swap in a BUick 350 VERY easily and even keep the water pump, alternator ect. You should even be able to use the engine mounts from the v6.

Go to Buickperformance group and post your question there... GS Johnny is racing a 4.1 NA car and can help you.

http://www.buickperformancegroup.com...51-Small-Block

Also go to the reference section of this site, there are two articles about the NA V6 however they are detailing VERY extreme racing engines and the parts are not easy to find these days.
    Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.