From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1952 buick frame

1952 buick frame

I am measuring my frame and the frame dimensions in the factory manual has some discrepancies. Are the any other drawings with dimensions out there?

What dicrepancies are you finding? I have used the factory chassis manual like the one on this site for frame work and never noticed any?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

52 frame

The top of frame rail is shown to be 16" above floor. The body outriggers "dimension D" is 19+" when the outriggers are 1 1/2" below the top of frame. Also, the "A" dimension is approx 2" higher than mine. My dimensions "B" and "C" are dead on with the drawing. The distance is relatively short between "A" and "B" and as this is a contour shape to the frame you would think there would be some obvious distortion for such a variance at point "A".

This makes me think there are "issues" with the dimensions on this drawing.

Thoughts anyone?

Frame Dem.

Are you checking the right series model??????

Yes I am using the series 50 (Super) specs but both tables seem to have the "issues" I mentioned above.

Try this one...it's from the 1952 Shop Manual.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l.../files/9-a.pdf
    Nate "Snake-Man" Shmay
    Club President/Pinstriper
    "Devil's Pit" Hotrod Club
    Thief River Falls, MN

I see the issue you are refering to. In the '51 manual all dimensions are oriented to a centerline on the top of the frame rail. Both frames are virtually identical. I have attached the diagram from the '51 manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Snake-man, Thanks but that'smthe drawing I was trying to use.

Bob, Thank you. I will try this drawing. I looks more in line with my frame.

Merry Christmas to all !!!!

52 frame

Bob,

I'm having trouble reading the dimensions.....can you rescan and/or do something else?

Thanks

Frame update

Well yesterday we took the frame to a frame shop. All this guy does is frame straightening and suspensions. He will work on it ASAP to confirm all dimensions and straighten as needed. No sense building on a frame that is not "dead on".

Bob, you said the difference between a 51 and a 52 frame was that the frame was boxed behind the rear axle. Did you mean the side rails or the cross piece at the rear which goes side to side?

The piece that goes across the ends is really bent upfrom the shipping damage. I was thinking of using 2in square tubing instead of having someone bend up some 12-14 ga steel into a c shape. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can drill the body mount and bumper holes and even cut the ends as needed to access the bumper bolts. Someone had a good picture of this piece in a posting a while back regarding a trunk floor for a 51 Super. I tried to capture it and attach but no go.