-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: motor swap 1951

Question motor swap 1951

I have a noisy rod in the straight 8 in my 51 Super. I also have a 50 GMC 2.5 ton with a good 6 cylinder-I think it is a 326 cubic inch-and I am wondering if the 6 from the GMC will bolt right up to the Buick tranny?

I wouldn't put any serious money on it. Back then, each division pretty much did their own thing, unlike today where most of the engineering between divisions goes into the fenders and logo.

well was common bak in the day to drop the pan and check the rod bearings. also check the main bearings as they have shims. you might as well do a ring an valve job while your at it. I,ve done it on a 39 Century and it ran great afterwards.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 12-23-2010 at 12:03 PM.

I think that a 51 super will have insert bearings on rods and mains. I would think your 6 cylinder is probably a 272 or even 228cu.in. engine. It won't bolt to a Buick trans.

Thats a fairly easy oil pan to remove to check mains and rods. You might get lucky and just change out the bearings and you can also check the oil pump while you have the pan off.

Jimmy engine swap

You should really think this through. I'm not sure if the Buick bellhousing would bolt up to the Jimmy block. That would allow you to keep the Buick clutch and tranny linkage. If you had to use the Jimmy bellhousing the next issue would be making the buick clutch linkage work with the Jimmy throwout arm (they are different). Then will the Buick tranny bolt up to the Jimmy bellhousing? If not you would need to redrill the Jimmy bellhousing for the Buick pattern and maybe re-machine the registry on the Jimmy housing for the Buick tranny's front bearing support. Alternatively, You would need to find a Chev or Gmc 1/2 ton closed drive tranny with a modified U-joint to adapt to the Buick torque tube. You will also need to completely modify the unconventional Buicks shift linkage monkey-motion to the more conventional Chev/Gmc type H pattern linkage. Then you will need to make new front motor mounts as the Jimmys don't have side mounts unless that engine is from a military deuce and a half 302. Then do those line up well to the Buick's motormount stantions? If your Jimmy is a civilian 270 you need to create a timing cover support for a front mount and are only gaining 7 cubic inches over the Buick's 263. So now you can see that it would not be a simple swap and would have dubious benefits. Engine swaps between manufactures never really are when you think them through. I didn't mention that the straight eight has two more power pulses per cycle for a smoother power delivery and an extra 1/8" of stroke for more low speed torque over the Jimmy. In my opinion you are far and away better off to rebuild the Buick's 263 engine. Also there is plenty of unrealized potential in the straight eight if you want to increase its power. There is lots of info on straight eight performance elsewhere on Team Buick. I say just fix it. Best of Luck, KB.