-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 320 vs. 248

320 vs. 248

So I decided to find a straight eight in better condition than mine. I actually found a few not to far from me. One guy has a 320 (not sure what it's out of) but he says the head has been redone and the engine was taken apart because someone did the valves incorrectly and it was blowing smoke like crazy. So he wants $500 bucks for it. This only includes the block with crank, cam, piston assembly, and the redone head. No components at all.

My question is will a 320 be interchangable with my 248? Meaning, will my valve cover fit (I think it won't but want confirmation), starter, generator, fuel pump, distributor, oil pump, pan, etc....can I move these parts to the 320?

Will the 320 bolt up to my 1940 super 4 door? I'm pretty sure the car is a 50 series.??

Thank you all for your help!! You guys have been great!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Although the Specials and the Centurys used the same body shell, the Century wheelbase was increased from 4 to 6 inches (depending on year)to accomodate the longer, 320 engine engine so just dropping the larger engine into the shorter chassis is not an option.

I don't believe it will bolt to your transmission either.

The 320 is a physically bigger engine, longer by several inches than the 248. The models using the larger engines, Century and Roadmaster, used a longer wheelbase to accomodate the longer engines. As noted above, the 320 won't fit in your shorter wheelbase car. The 263 c.i. from the early '50s will fit by changing the motor mounts on the engine. I have one in my '40 Super.