- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69 skylark weird electrical issue

69 skylark weird electrical issue

I have a 69 skylark that is giving me a weird problem. I charged my battery, and then when I get in the car, the interior dome lights come on, but if you turn the ignition on, the dome light goes out and I just get a click from the starter. If I turn the headlights on, the domelight goes out and the headlights dont come on. If I hit the brakes, the dome light goes out. It is like the only thing electrical that works on the car now is the domelight, but once you try something else, the light goes out.

Does it sound like a bad battery, or does it sound like I broke something charging my battery?

The domelight is nice and bright until you try to turn something on and then it goes out.

First guess, probably your battery cables need cleaning. Check both ends of each cable, clean all connections at the starter and clean all ground connections between the frame. body and engine. Next guess, your battery has a dead cell and will need to be replaced.

I checked the cables and replaced the terminal ends but no luck. I will try another battery and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Battery

I checked the battery and cables. Everything tests fine. I even put a different battery in there to double check. Are there any fusible links or anything like that around the starter?

Sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere. As you probably know, most circuits come on by supplying power to the load when the switch is turned on. The dome light circuit is the only circuit that has power all the time and comes on when ground is supplied by a closed switch. Check your ground cable and location, also grounds on the body. Why did you have to charge the battery in the first place? Did it suddenly go dead? Possibly a chafed wire in the ground circuit of the dome light that drains it.

The dome light comes on when you open the door by releasing on/off switch in the door jam. the switch might be stuck, or broken.
    you could try a little WD-40 on the switch and work it a few times to see if it works.
    could be the wire is broken and you have a constant hot to ground

the switches do pry out, but be careful the holding clips might be frozen in time. - there are universal replacements at most parts stores

Thanks for the info. I will check out the switches. The story goes like this....

My son drove the car and ran out of gas. He drained the battery trying to restart it after putting gas in it. I tried jumping it, but that thing was dead. I had it towed home and that is when I put the charger on it. I heard a snapping sound when I turned the charger on, so I thought maybe I popped something electrical on it. If there is a fusible link or something that I fried, would it make these symptoms as well?

Yea check the fusible links. I would check the condition of the starter and solenoid and the wiring that runs to it also. Kid might have fried the starter by cranking it too much. My experience has been that some of these types of electrical problems surface when jumper cables or a battery charger was hooked up backwards. A shorted starter may do it too.

I am revisiting this scenario - I hate it when something auto electric from the 60s baffles me.

If you would, remove the positive cable from the battery and use a jumper cable to go + post on the battery to the + on the starter and see if she turns.

let's eliminate a bad starter or selonoid first.

while your down there, check for any burnt wires.

I posted a wiring diagram awhile back, follow the ignition wiring down to the starter.

let us know what you find
    Butch

Thanks, I will try that and let you know what comes up.