Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 350 Oil Pressure Issues

In doing research I found out that this engine didn't have the best reputation for having great oiling to begin with.

none of the Buicks from 1968 on up have a good 'reputation' for oiling and it doesn't matter whether it's SBB, BBB or v6. that's because they all use the same oiling scheme.

what brand oil filter are you using? what weight oil?

i like Wix and Rotella 15w-40.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Hey guys...an update on my 350 oil pressure issue. Had to wait until the weather cleared a bit because I have no garage space. Anyway, finally got the engine out and torn down. The mains and rod bearings were wiped, and the front cam bearing scored also. No discoloration on the crank from overheating, so it looks like I got some dust or some other grunge in the engine when I rebuilt it last. It did sit around for a while, as the whole process proceeded as the budget allowed. Valuable lesson! Keep that block covered up and clean during the rebuild. Looks like turn the crank, resize the rods and go with oversize bearings. I'll post how everything turns out when it's up and running again.

ouch.

ALL the bearings were wiped? that'll do it every time.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

An inspection of the disassembled 350 bottom end indicates the crank and bearings were scored by some gritty substance, wreaking havoc with the clearances and thus the oil pressure. Found some indication of grinding inside the timing cover where the distributor, camshaft and oil pump intersect. It could have been the combination of a new cam and a high volume pump without replacing the distributor drive gear that caused of all this mayhem; the gear looks a little worse for wear, but not destroyed. In any case, it will have a new distributor gear and a stock oil pump when it goes back together.