Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel upside down?

Steering wheel upside down?

don't ask me how but...
    old family car (1971 Skylark) steering wheel is mounted upside down.
    (the "V" is pointed DOWN). Can the steering wheel just be pulled and reversed OR does one have to do something with the steering box as I have been told?
    That seems kind of strange.
    Just flip the wheel with a puller right? Thanks for all replies.

Just pull it, and flip it to correct the visual appearance, it shouldn't have any effect on the steering, if there are no existing problems.
    Last edited by Rivman; 11-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

thanks that's what i figured

Turn the steering wheel all the way left, note what position it is in, and count how many turns it takes to get all the way to the other position. Go back half way to find center. Then look to where your front tires are pointed. If they are aligned straight ahead and the wheel is still "upside down", you're good to go for turning it over. But if the the front tires are not pointing straight ahead, your pittman arm is off a tooth on the steering gearbox. I had this on a '64 car that tended to pull right and float. You need to make sure that the gear box is at the middle of its travel due to the crown on the sector gear, which reduces backlash when driving straight down the road.

Hmmm...thanks for your reply....
    I think I understand about the steering box etc. in relation
    to wheels pointing straight/alignment but what does this have to do with
    flipping the steering wheel 180 degrees so the "V" (center) is pointed UP
    (^) and not down. Can't I just flip the steering wheel to where it should be
    with some kind of steering wheel puller tool?

It may be that everything isn't in order, and I'm just pointing you to easy checks. In the end, if the things I mentioned are true, you'll end up pulling the wheel twice (not that big a deal), and I always drill to the bottom when I do something to avoid getting bit by weird problems. YMMV

Got it....
    thanks again

Several years ago I bought an old Sunbeam roadster. When turning to the left it would climb its own tail but when turning to the right it took about a half acre to make a U turn. I disconnected both tie rod ends and found the straight ahead position as directed above. Turns out one tie rod end needed to be lengthened about 2 inches while the other had to be shortened the same amount. When finished the steering was correct except that the steering wheel was about 30 degrees off center. I took off the wheel and repositioned it to the correct straight ahead position. Some moron had incorrectly set up the front end starting with the tie rod ends. See the sequence and why?

YES!
    Thanks

I noticed this old post while looking for help with my steering column. You never mentioned the type of column or if you fixed it.
    I remembered it last night when I caused the same problem for myself while reassembling my '70 tilt column. I had to replace the actuator rack so while I had the column disassembled I cleaned and greased everything including the upper shaft and centering sphere. Much to my dismay I had forgotten to confirm the orientation of the upper shaft so when I got to installing the turn signal canceling cam and lock plate(the lock plate is keyed to the shaft) I realized it was 180 degrees out and if I continued the only way to mount the wheel would be upside down! AAARRRRGGH.
    Anyway tear down and reassembly were much faster the second time as it was all fresh in my memory.
    Last edited by my446370K; 12-06-2010 at 09:38 AM.