Thread: New Member: Hello All

New Member: Hello All

First of all, hello! My name is Jerry and I live in Vacaville, California. I have a 1953 Buick Special that I am working on restoring. It is a project started by my dad and me many years ago. After dad passed last year, I promised that I would continue the restoration. Here's the catch: although dad was an ace mechanic, I have never been that mechanically inclined. So everything is a learning experience for me. I have MANY questions and hope I can tap into the knowledge base here. Besides that, my lack of mechanical knowledge should provide many of you with much needed humor as I ask what is likely to be volumes of "beginner" questions. Hopefully, you guys - and gals? - will take me under your wings! So, let me begin with my first question. I bought a couple of reproduction side mirrors for the car. Chinese crap that I thought was way overpriced, but I digress. What is the proper location to mount these mirrors on my car? I've searched and searched for photos, but can't seem to find one that provides the final answer. Thanks and nice to meet you all. When I get a handle on the forum, I will post some pictures. I tried already but the file size was too large to be accepted.

jh

outside rear view mirrors

Welcome Jerry, as far back as I can recall the outside mirrors were clamped on the doors. Sitting in drivers normal position, mount them
    to the door for best rear view.

well as far as parts are concerned sometimes you may havto dig but it will be interesting and usually we get more stuff out there than we thought we would ever find. the fifties Buicks, in some ways were mechanically tied to the 40,s and even the late 30's buicks. They are pretty straight forward designs, but one thing I,ve found is that buicks are kinda in their own world, especially when it comes to interchanging parts with their GM cousins.

Hello 39cent. Nice to meet you and thanks for the information. The mirrors that were on the car when we bought it back in the late 80's were clamped to the door frame just above the trim, ahead of the bottom front of the wing windows. The repros that I bought came with rubber seals and mounting screws - no clamps. I was thrown as to whether the correct way was to have mirrors that clamp on or mirrors that are mounted. If the original '53 mirrors were clamp-ons, then the reproductions are not accurate in that sense. Again, thanks and nice to meet you!

New Member Hello All

The convertibles used the screw on method, but the clamps used on sedans, are also available, try www.bobsautomobilia.com they have what you are looking for.

Welcome new member

The Buick Club of America has a very active chapter in Sacramento, CA which isn't that far from Vacaville. They put on a great automotive swap meet on the first Saturday in February. You might want to check them out.
    It's the California Capitol Chapter of the BCA.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Hello Jerry! Welcome to the forum.its a very good and friendly site.have a pleasant stay here.

Hello and welcome to the forum.I am too new and having a great time.do share if you have any problem.