- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW 1950 Buick Super OWNER...Need advice

NEW 1950 Buick Super OWNER...Need advice

Hello Everyone,
    I just received my 1950 Buick Super from an ebay auction I won. It came from Kansas and is 100% original. The inside is tore up, the body is straight, the trims all there. But parts of the front floor boards are rotted through. Rolled off the trailer and steers, but only the emergency brake worked. I have been slowly taking the brakes apart and getting the rebuild kits from NAPA.(If anyone knows the right part #'s for NAPA that would be great or other companies would be greatly appreciated)

The engine supposedly was driven and parked two years ago. I took out all the spark plugs and put marvel mystery oil down each cylinder. Also sprayed pb blaster around the valves and lifters after taking off the valve cover. Tried to turn the engine but it wouldn't budge...then I realized later that the damn thing may be in gear (Its three on the tree) 1)Which position is the shift lever for neutral?
    2)The wiring is shot so How can I turn the engine over with just a battery and the starter. There are no keys. Is there a simple way to jimmy rig it to test?
    Sorry for the ignorant post, but I feel like I may be a little over my head with the engine part and thought I'd aske the experts.
    If anyone is in the Los Angeles area or knows someone who is that would be willing to take a look at her to see if the engine runs and the tranny works or even if it's worth keeping. I'd appreciate the insight.

I have really enjoyed this site and have already learned a ton. Look forward to hearing from you guys.
    Take care in the meantime,

Sean
    Last edited by rsvp4sean; 12-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.

I got all of my brake parts from oldbuickparts.com. They are pretty good to work with. I got all my lines from a local break shop.

Neutral is in the middle. If you can roll it it is not in gear. Pull and down is first. Push and up is second. Push and Down is 3rd. Pull and up is Rev. If you can't feel it go under the hood and find it with with linkage. You will be able to feel it moving in and out of gear.

My engine on my 52 Special was froze. I used Marvel mixed about 2 to 1 with transmission fluid. Keep soaking it down for a week or two. I took off the fan and put a socket on the bolt on the front of the crank. I worked it back and forth and eventually it broke loose. Just don't pull too hard or you could snap the head off the bolt then you will have real problems. Make sure you have all the plugs out.

To see if it cranks you can get a remote starter switch at any parts store.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by dorse50; 10-06-2010 at 05:23 AM.

It turns!!!! Yes it turns!!!

Thanks dorse50! Just went back today and squirted some kroil down each spark plug hole. I waited an hour...made sure she was in neutral and she turned over with no problem. I kept turning it with a ratchet to get everything lubricated again. Pepboys took a look at my Brake drums and they turned them and they look brand new! I'm pretty stoked....BUT I need to know what my next move should be. THe car didn't come with the keys. It has an ignition for the keys ane also a starter button under the dash. What should I do before I buy a battery and try to fire her up? I've been reading alot about "PRIMING" the oil pump? How do I do that and how can I make sure the Distributor has the plugs in the right order? SHould I take the Carburetor off and soak it in evaporust or carb cleaner?
    THanks for all the help...I've made so good progress in the last week.
    Thanks again,
    sean

I am an amateur with these things and have been learning with my 52 as I go. I wouldn't mess with to much until you try to fire it up first since they said it was running a few years ago. I made the mistake of trying to change a few things before I got it fired the way it was. The best thing I did was buy a shop manual for my car. If I was you I would buy one off ebay.

I would probably drain the oil and put fresh back in. You can by a new ignition lock cylinder to put in it. Check the points and make sure they are clean. I put a pertronix ignition and new coil on mine so I didn't have to worry about it and it works good. New plugs, wires, rotor, and cap can't hurt and they are not expensive.

I cranked and cranked on mine for a few weeks and scratched my head why I couldn't get it started. I checked everything 5 times. Finally my dad came down and we pulled out the first three plugs squirted a little gas in each cylinder, put the plugs back in and it fired right up. I have since put a new carb on, new starter solenoid and a few other things. It starts and runs great. The carb made a world of difference but the one that was on there was in sad shape. I am working on the tail lights now before I take it out for the first drive.

old buick first time startup

Since the engine turns over you will havto do some things before running the engine. First drain old oil, and water,you may have clumps of jelled oil and may havto kinda scoop out some with coat hanger, fill with 20W oil. Starting an old engine after its been sitting along time and it was running when stopped is good because everything hasnt been messed with. One of the first things to determine is oil pressure. I would take out the spark plugs, lube Rocker arms, you can move the loose rocker arms sideways a bit to lube shaft. when its rolling over with battery, check for oil pressure. also check for spark. don,t run starter more than 30 seconds at a time let rest for a couple of minutes after each try. try again but dont let starter get hot. you may havto do it a few times. If you get it started make sure you are maintaining oil press. then stop it. Look for oil on the rockers if they don,t seem to be oiling, you will need to remove the oil supply line going to front of the head and watch for oil. If its all ok you can add water and start
    again..then check back here again. just my way of doin it

this is 52 buick shop manual

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...er+relay+start
    Last edited by 39CENT; 10-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Battery

Thanks guys for all the help! Where would you recommend getting a 6Volt battery without breaking the bank?
    sean

Quote Originally Posted by rsvp4sean View Post
    Thanks guys for all the help! Where would you recommend getting a 6Volt battery without breaking the bank?
    sean
    I got a new one in San Diego with my spare parts if you're interested. It'll probably need a quick charge. Send me a e-mail johnross@gci.net
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

Getting the REAR brake drum off?? WHAT IS THIS?

Hello All,
    I have attached a pic of the rear brake drum I tried to get off tonight. The front was so easy and this gave me fits. I left the manual at home so I stopped before I broke anything. What do I have to do to get this thing off besides pray?

THanks,
    sk
    Last edited by rsvp4sean; 10-29-2010 at 07:05 AM.

It looks from the picture that you removed the three bolts that hold it on. Just make sure those are out first. The rear ones on mine came off very hard. I ended up using a puller and hammer. It took quite a while. Another thing to try if you haven't already is backing off the shoes all the way.

Here's a tip for working on anything: If something doesn't operate as it should, only change ONE thing at a time when trying to fix the problem. For instance, when trying to figure out why the engine won't start, don't fiddle with the ignition and the carb at the same time; reason being that if it DOES start, you won't know what the problem was! If you only change one thing at a time, you'll know what caused the problem and can keep track of improvements as you go.