- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: super turbine 400 or sp 400

Exclamation super turbine 400 or sp 400

New member, finally a site with knowledgeable people. Where may I find a slip yoke for an sp 400 tranny from a 68 wildcat 430.

A '68 WildCat did NOT come with a switch-pitch trans. in '68. The last year for the switch-pitch was '67. Unless someone installed one or converted the original over to a switch-pitch. With all that being said an original rear yoke for the newer trans. is available new. For the earlier trans. the only option I know of is good USED.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

sp 400

I was told previously by someone that my tranny may have been manufactured in mid 67 and installed in 68. The identifiers are two indents in the pan, two wire tabs entering the tranny, and the rebuilder said it has two pumps inside, two shafts entering the converter, with fluid holes on them and a short tailshaft. My biggest problem is, I ordered and recieved a slip yoke for a th400, 32 spline but it will not enter the tailshaft. It starts to go on the splines about 1/4 of inch, but it looks like the diameter of the yoke is larger. I have not been able to locate a slip yoke for a super turbine buick 400 with 32 splines. Thank You in advance for any direction you may have.

You may be able to change the tailshaft housing to fit the yoke you have. There were several lengths of housings, but you would need the the one that has the same length as your current housing, but has a a bigger diameter bushing and bushing seat in the housing. I think this bushing size was used on all later (68 and up) Th 400s and TH 375s in all GM cars and trucks. Take your yoke to your local junk yard and tell them need a TH 400/375 tailshaft housing that fits it in the same length as your current housing. There are not a lot of those early yokes still around. So, it is not likely they will have the correct yoke, but they should have the correct housing to make the later yoke work. I think they come off with 4 bolts, and it is an easy swap. You will need to replace the seal and gasket for the housing, and try to get one with good bushing clearence (so you do not have to have a trans shop replace the bushing).
    Last edited by Dr. Frankenbuick; 10-24-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

old thread but some history

years ago I did an engine swap and used a FORD C 6 trans yoke on the Buick trans, I had to shorten the yoke in the lathe and deburr the cut BUT IT Worked.