From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1952 frame identification

1952 frame identification

Hi Group,
    I am brand new so please excuse my mistakes. I have just bought a frame/suspension for a1952 Super. How can I confirm this is the correct frame?

I am planning on a frame up restoration on my dad's 1952 4dr Riviera sedan. Any info as to vin location on frame, frame interchange, etc. would be appreciated.

Dave

The frames are the same except for length. The two rails on the Roadmaster are longer than on the Super in the front area. The Roadmaster body will mount to the frame, but the front fender assembly will not.

The frame number should be located near the steering box and on the upper side of the right rail a foot or two from the back where you can not see it without removing the body.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Frame

Thanks Bob

The frame is enroute. When it arrives I will check both locations. Is there
    a correlation between the number and the actual year/make/model of the car?

Thanks again

Dave

No, the VIN and the frame number should be the same, but only identify the plant:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/52/52_vin.html

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Frame

Ok, so we do not have a way of identifying whether this is a 48-53 frame or a 2 dr, 4dr, convertible,etc.?

I was hoping there was a correlation to the model (ie : Super 1952 and a range of vin numbers. Things have really changed over the years on VIN #s.

A '51 and '52 frame are identical except the extensions behind the rear axle are boxed on the '52.

A convertible frame has a heavier X-section.

Here are some dimensions from the '52 manual:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l.../files/9-a.pdf

You will also find differeces in wheel bases here:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...op/files/0.pdf
    Last edited by Bob; 10-24-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Frame

Thanks Bob,

Great info. Armed with this and my tape measure I'll figure out what I have as soon as it arrives. I will keep you informed.

frame

Well, the frame arrived and has the following number on the front left frame horn......16341835

I could use some additional info on this if possible.

Thanks in advance

It is in line with the reference section as manufactured in Flint:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/52/52_vin.html

Frame update

Discovered upon inspection some dame to frame....Cross member at rear of frame rails twisted and flattened.....Fork lift?

Also, does anyone know if the 1952 s/ns were for all models or did buick have a certain range of numbers for each model and sub-model.

I know this is a super or roadmaster. Having a single motor mount on each side makes me think its a super but I still don't have a definite answer as to whether a 2 dr and 4dr supers had the same frame....etc. Does the frame number above tell us more than built location and vehicle number?

Bob, I appreciate all your posts. Anyone else have more info or thoughts.

After the freight company completes their process, I want to get started