From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: '99 Regal 3.8

Question '99 Regal 3.8

So I've inherited my parent's Regal LS, going on 12 and 48K on the ticker. I've read some posts about the plastic intakes being a problem and my engine has one...should I worry?

It isn't the intake manifold, it's the intake gasket.

For now, just make sure you NEVER have Dexcool more than 5 years old.

If you want to proactively replace the intake gasket then that's fine (I would do it if it was my car), but at the same time you should install some pipe plugs in the coolant channel that goes to the throttle body (to prevent it from freezing).

It is a pretty straightforward job. If you want details on the pipe plugs, let me know.

Then in the future, you should drain and fill some antifreeze every year, which will keep the coolant from tuning into the acidic crap that has probably ruined your gasket.

-BC

I had this engine in a 98 Bonneville that I bought new. At about 40,000 miles that gasket blew antifreeze into the engine. It cost me over 600 bucks to get the manifold replaced (you can't just replace the gasket, I understand) so I sent the old manifold along with a cover letter to the president of GM asking why the hell they didn't cover this under a recall since there were already a flood of unhappy owners all over the internet relating this problem with those engines. Finally GM offered either 1) a discount equally to my repair bill the next time I bought a GM car or 2) a check equal to half of the repair bill. I took the check. At about 98,000 miles the thing blew again, costing another 600+ bucks. By the way, the Pontiac dealer was charging almost twice as much for the manifold as O'Reilly Auto parts! I traded the damn thing in on a Mercury! My suggestion would be to trade that car in on something else and run away!

so as long as it hasn't gone bad yet, I could just replace the gasket (and install plugs)? Is this the upper manifold gasket or both?

It's the intake manifold; the entire manifold must be replaced as it's not metal, it's a composite and the gasket is built into the manifold and is not replaceable by itself. I think it retails for about $130.00 as long as you don't get it from the dealer!

thanx found it at rock auto, getting coolant flushed on Tuesday Have to go South for a week or so then swapping out intake.

We've never had to replace the intake manifold, but done the job several times. Only the gasket. Different types of plastic anyhow.

My brother has done this procedure 4 times this summer (with my help on a couple of them).

I'll try to get some details on the procedure and post.

And yes, I agree GM should cover this under warranty. They've switched gasket materials on the new engines for a reason...

-Bob C.