Thread: 455 in a '56 Century

455 in a '56 Century

Hey guys, I've been away for a while searching out my new project and found it about 4 months ago - a '56 Century. Since purchasing it, I've been thinking hard about what I'd like to do with the car and am thinking about putting in a 455 with T400 trans from an early 70s (preferably 1970) Buick. The '56 has a non-running 40-series 322 in it and the entire drivetrain, but after doing some research, I found that nailhead parts aren't always readily available or cheap! My goal with the car is to keep it all Buick and make it a solid, dependable daily driver that I don't have to worry about finding engine/tans/diff parts for 10 or 15 years down the road.

I've already found several donor cars that I can use, but before I take the plunge, I need to determine exactly what will be required for this swap, which will determine whether I truly want to do it. I've looked at the "Numbers Game" page (http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=numbers) and am going to refer to the '56 shop manual for the 322 specs and compare.

I scoured the forums and found some info on this swap, but nothing very specific about what exactly the swap entails. I have seen a few people say the best way is to transplant the body on a 68-73 station wagon, but I'd prefer to keep the original frame. So, I have a couple questions for the Buick pros.

1. What is required to put a 455/T400 into a '56 Buick Century (2D HT)? Specifically, is there a great deal of fabrication/modification involved for motor mounts, tranny mounts, etc.? Will the wider 455 interfere with the steering box, etc.? Are there any resources that discuss this swap or parts suppliers that make any mount kits, etc.?

2. What driveshaft would be best to use? Could I use the driveshaft out of the donor car? I'm assuming it will have to be shortened a bit.

3. What rear end can I use that is a good match for the 455/T400? I'm looking to get a rear end that will fit the car with as little fab/mod as possible.

I'm not afraid of the fab/mod required, I'd just like to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Mike
    1950 Chevrolet Styleline Special 2D Sedan
    1956 Buick Century Riviera 2D HT
    -----------
    Semper Fi!

Mike,
    I don't know the answers, but I am interested to see what others say. It could be a nice upgrade while staying Buick. If you go for the upgrade post lots of updates on the progress.

1956 Buick Century Estate Wagon

455 in a 56

I have the same think in my mind.But so long my 322 runs whitout any
    trouble it stays,When i cant get the nailhead working good i maybe
    try to put a newer engine,tranny,driveshaft and rear axle from a
    donator.It dont fit but whit a good welder,some good ideas why not.
    More horsepower,a tranny that is working rapidly.
    But the sound of a nailhead can not ever be the same of a 455.

As long as you have to buy a trans, why not get a 200-4R overdrive? It will fit the 455 and you can run a low 3, axle and have the best of both worlds. it will get decent MPG, and still melt the tires.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

I've got a 73 455 w/th400 attached sitting onna trailer.

if you want some pics and measurements, give me a holler
    Butch

Thanks for the info guys. My research has definitely shown that the 455 swap will require more fab/mod than i want to deal with. However, someone on another forum suggested swapping the 322 with a 425.

Has anybody here done that swap? If so, I'd love to hear what's entailed. I'm in the process of tearing the car down now, so I have time to think this through, as the engine will be one of the last items I address.

Thanks again!
    Mike
    -----------
    Semper Fi!

The rear differential from a 1963 through a 1965 Riviera will work well.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

rear axle

make sure you get the correct ratio. Not many ratios around for the rivera rear axle. I used a s-10 in mine is going to to small for your engine. Try a chevelle mid 70's. there are axle sites to get the correct width and bolt patern I hope this helps. Oh I also used a Welder Series 4 link rear suspension custom lenght bars because of the x member

I love Leno's '55 - too bad I don't have that kind of money!

Now that I've looked into all the angles on the engine swap, I think I'm going to keep the 322 nailhead. I can just never bring my self to modify an all original, solid car to that degree. I'll definitely be doing a mild build on that engine as well as upgrading the brakes, but it's going to remain as stock as I can keep it.

Thanks for all the input, it was priceless in helping me arrive at a final decision.

Mike
    -----------
    Semper Fi!