From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Chrome

Chrome

Hi guys
    Have a couple questions about chrome. I tried to get some prices to get my bumpers, grille, etc re-chromed. Asked a few folks on here and got some input as well as doing some research online. Called a couple of places and they told me to send them pictures which I did for a quote. Herein lies the catch and the question. NO ONE has had the courtesy to even respond to my email after specifically instructing me to email them pictures!

My question are this. Are these chrome shops doing so well in this supposed horrible economy that they can ignore potential customers? Has anyone had any business dealings with Bumper Boyz http://www.bumperboyz.com/main.htm in California and are they reputable? I'm figuring that the cost of chroming the front, rear bumpers, grille, etc is going to run me around $3000 ball park. I am way off?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows any good chromers in the Albany NY, Western Mass area please let me know.
    Thanks
    Scott

Bumpers

I'm quite sure that it goes by size of the bumper. My quotes have been $500 - $750 and that was just on the phone. I'm in Canada but your prices on things is usually less expensive.

Good luck! and hope you find a good price and good quality.

There is a company called National Metal Finishing in Springfield, MA that I once contacted about chroming...they do it, but usually on a large scale for companies and they subcontract another company to do the polishing for large parts like bumpers. At first they seemed reluctant to do a one-off job so I gave up but they have contacted me since a few times. My contact there was Bob Tutunjian, 413-781-5261.
    Yeah 3K is in the ballpark, more or less depending...are the teeth for a '50 stainless or chromed steel?

did you actually use them? and if so, how were they? the teeth on my buick are chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkov58 View Post
    There is a company called National Metal Finishing in Springfield, MA that I once contacted about chroming...they do it, but usually on a large scale for companies and they subcontract another company to do the polishing for large parts like bumpers. At first they seemed reluctant to do a one-off job so I gave up but they have contacted me since a few times. My contact there was Bob Tutunjian, 413-781-5261.
    Yeah 3K is in the ballpark, more or less depending...are the teeth for a '50 stainless or chromed steel?

chrome

I used Sandy's in Syacuse and am very happy with their work.

bumperboyz

I have observed bumperboyz displays at a swap meet here on the left coast. It appears to be a cut rate business where all the work is done in Mexico. I am sure environmental regulations are ignored and try to get an adjustment a year or so down the road if their work goes south. I recommend doing business with a "local" business. Contact a local street rod club they will know where the good chrome shops are.