Thread: Need help with a 1973 Riviera VIN location

Question Need help with a 1973 Riviera VIN location

Hello, I own a 73 Rivi and the dash VIN number can no longer be read. My question is, does anybody know where I can find the other VIN numbers on the body & frame? Any advise on where to look would be great, thanks.

not sure how late it went, but a ton of early gm tied engine numbers to vin.

the last seven digits ( year code and 6 digit sequential production code ) of the EIN should match the last seven digits of the VIN.

you should be able to generate the first six digits of the VIN code yourself, there aren't exactly a whole lot of variations available to the Riviera series.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/73/73_vin.php

i expect
    4 Y 87 T ( or U if dual exhaust ) 3 H xxxxxx

the "H xxxxxx" is the part that will match the EIN.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank You for the answers, I really appreciate it . Let me better explain my situation, I know my VIN number it is 4Y87U3H45888-, it is currently registered and has a clear title. I checked the motor and it does not match the title. With the dash Vin to rusty to get a read off of, I have no way of proving this is the car for this title I checked with my DMV and they told me to take it to the State Patrol and they would give it a new VIN.... I don't want to have them issue a new VIN for it, I was hoping I could find it somewhere else on the car and just wouldn't worry about it. Its starting to look like I'm going to have to go see them and beg them to keep my original number.

they told me to take it to the State Patrol and they would give it a new VIN

actually, i believe most po-po departments keep books that tell them the alternate VIN stamping locations. so's they can properly investigate chop shops and such. so the Staties would probably just verify your VIN off of the frame stamping ( which i don't know where it is for your car ).

a Buick dealer might be able to do the same for you if they've kept the old service manuals around.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The earlier (late 60s) Rivs had the VIN stamped on the frame on the driver side near the driver floor board front but they were not visible unless the body was off or someone very creative figured out a way to see it. Not sure where they would be on the 73 but suspect its there somewhere.

The first step would be to find out if a hidden VIN exists on the frame and the State Police is supposed to have info. In fact, a story was posted in the ROA newsletter about a stolen 66 Riv and thats how I found out the secret VINs existed on a 66. It was the police who revealed the location.

Once you find out if and where it exists, the ability to see it is a whole other project. In 66 the VIN is stamped in two locations on the frame. The 2nd one is on the left rear frame rail.

Good luck and post back if you find anything out.
    Last edited by JZRIV; 09-01-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/