-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: arm shocks

Unhappy arm shocks

Read a thread on these buggers but I still need more info. Our City owned 51 Roadmaster needs some help and I have to do it as cheaply as possible. I read where a hole was drilled and a zert fitting installed for greasing these instead of using hyd fluid. Can't we just tap the fill hole and do the same thing?? What type of grease are we talking about?? New ones are out of the questions but I have to do something as this monster rides like....YUK!!!!! Any help with this is appreciated. By the way it is a D.A.R.E. vehicle.

Arm shocks

Unless you want a ride as hard as cement, with a trip in a carriage drawn by a horse to seem velvet smooth, no grease

Drop by your nearest Harley Davidson dealer and check out his hydraulic shock fluid. It comes in various thicknesses. The stiffer the oil, the stiffer the ride. The seals could just be dried out, and if that is the case you want something to soften the seals.

Seal Lube is such a product. phone 800-434-9192 and talk to them. they are in Fraser, MI 48026 Po Box 26198 and operate under the name New Technology.email to: newt924@netscape.net They guarantee results or your money back.

A little brake fluid mixed in with the heaviest Harley shock oil will help to swell the seals. May not stop them from leaking but just may slow it down.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

There is no cheap and easy around the Buick shock problem. You must either get those shocks rebuilt or live with the lousy ride and control. The alternative is to replace those shocks with new telescopic shocks and that ain't cheap, either. In fact, unless you can do the job yourself, it's probably going to cost more than rebuilding the lever arm units.

I did a set once. I cut the wishbone and pulled them apart. The seals were readily available from a local parts store. The bushings were still good. I expect as long as they aren't dry the bushings will be good. Then put them back carefully with the wishbones correctly oriented and weld them back together.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Grease ?

I jacked my 41 buick special up 3" then greased the rear shock action units after having the seals leak all different fluids out .The shocks leak left over fluid for about 2 months ,then seam to have a cuishion to them .They both have not gone down one bit in the past 8 years and I have 2 kids in the back bouncing around .That is why I had to do something the kids liked that you could " bounce the car" driving down the road ,and of course I did not .Good luck

Smile Harley fluid

OK. I'll try the heavyiest Harley fluid and see what happens. Just how much fluid does one of these units hold? And just one more question "where do you put it in"? The picures I've seen is a plug on top of the units, correct?? Sorry to be such a pain but I know more about Mustangs than Buicks but still more than the mechanics at our maintenance facility.