Thread: Contemplating buying a 63 Skylark

Contemplating buying a 63 Skylark

I'm not familiar with Buicks much, I've had a couple of Novas off and on for the last 20 years. Here's 'Lucille'

A friend has a 63 Skylark for sale on his used car lot and I plan on checking it out this week. I just went through the VIN and cowl tag info so I can decode it.

What problem areas should I look at on the car itself?
    I know the front seat is ripped, are seat covers available?
    It has a V-8 now, was that the only engine available in the Skylark?
    Anything else I should know before I get in too deep?

Look for typical rust areas like in all older cars. Floor pans, quarters, trunk, etc.

Real question would be what v8 does it have in it? Can you post a picture of the engine?
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

If I recall, '63s have a strange driveshaft that is hard to find parts for...I'm a little fuzzy but maybe it was a center bearing or something. If it's the original engine, it'll be the aluminum 215, which Rover bought the rights to and used for years...Last thing, they aren't worth a ton, just not a lot of interest, so don't pay toooo much. I think as far as upholstery is concerned, you'll have a hard time finding original, but if it has a bench seat, you should be able to find some generic material. Good luck!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Quote Originally Posted by carmantx View Post
    Look for typical rust areas like in all older cars. Floor pans, quarters, trunk, etc.

Real question would be what v8 does it have in it? Can you post a picture of the engine?
    I don't have any pics of the motor. I'm planning on taking my camera to get some and then you guys can help me figure out if it's original or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
    If I recall, '63s have a strange driveshaft that is hard to find parts for...I'm a little fuzzy but maybe it was a center bearing or something. If it's the original engine, it'll be the aluminum 215, which Rover bought the rights to and used for years...Last thing, they aren't worth a ton, just not a lot of interest, so don't pay toooo much. I think as far as upholstery is concerned, you'll have a hard time finding original, but if it has a bench seat, you should be able to find some generic material. Good luck!
    This one is listed for approx $4k. I'm only really experienced with 66 and 67 Novas, but that $4k seems low. It would be cool to get another drivable classic for a good price though. It's either that or repaint my Nova.

So I looked at the Buick today. I took my camera to work but forgot to take it with me when I went to view the car.

The car has a newer Chevy 305 with a TH350 transmission. The pipes exit just in front of the rear tires (and it's LOUD!) It started up real easy (a lot easier than my Nova!) It has four Krager 4 lugs on it that are too big. The back wheels rub on the fenders because the backspacing is too much. The engine has a small coolant leak, the headers look like they were painted white and the paint is pealing off. The engine compartment overall looks like it needs some cosmetic work (nothing I can't handle myself there) and some wiring might need to be cleaned up. The seats are ripped, there were not kick panels on it (the grills for the vents are there, but not the kick panels. I was told they should be in the trunk but they don't have a key for it to see for sure.) I was told there were a couple of rust spots in the trunk pan but couldn't see in for myself. It's had an amatuer paint job that has some issues but it looks pretty good from 20 feet. The window felts and rubber are gone or badly cracked. The drivers window and rear glass look like they were siliconed in. There's no radio. I'm not sure if they deleted the heater when they massaged the V8 into it. The carpet is almost perfect. The rear bumper has taken a knock and has been hammered out (maybe with spot welds and a slide hammer.) There are some pinhole rust spots in the front lip of the hood. The headlight bezels are pitted.

I liked the look of the car. If I can figure out how much to redo the exhaust, get seat covers (will 64 seat covers work? I have an OPG catalog but it doesn't list 63 seat covers???) and possibly have the glass reset and get window felts/rubbers and get the price down, it might be worth it. He's asking $3995 but admitted he doesn't want to have to plow around it this winter (which in these parts could start at the beginning of October.)

My Dad asked me what I want another 'sinkhole' for? He thinks I should put the funds into repainting 'Lucille' He's not really a car guy, so I don't expect him to understand why 2 old cars are better than one perfect old car.

I don't know...do you really like the car? It sounds like it's going to be a money pit to me...(I'm a card carrying money pit buyer though). It's a car that's not worth much to begin with, and I think the engine conversion may even lessen the value. I don't think I'd pay more than 2,500 if I were in your shoes. I would DEFINITELY take a light refrigerator magnet and check for excessive filler and take a good look underneath the car. Michigan cars will have some filler, I just prefer to know where it is! Good luck...let us know how it turns out. Just remember...if you don't love it, look for something you do...you probably won't be turning this one for a profit.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

A trunk can tell you stories about how the car was taken care of and is a sign / omen to what the undercarrage is like. These cars are famous for rusting in the back window area, the trunk area since its a 47 year old car im almost certain the original weather stripping is most likely gonzo, even more so since its a Michigan car.

I think hes asking so much because of the Chevy motor thats in it. Thoes 215 motors which your Buick was born with are great runners, that is until you let the oil or coolant go on them. That will kill the alumnum block. This Skylark is the same car as the Oldsmobile F-85 , typical a GM car, theyd put the same 215 into more then one car. Unfortunately you are in a part of this great country of ours that gets brutal winters, so unless you store your oldschool ride in a building during the winter the car will age faster. That Chevy motor will be in the long run be easier to get parts for if and when the motor quits.

Myself sight unseen id pass on the car. Unless you plan on keeping the car, youll never get out of it whatever you put into it. Personally I dont buy peoples modified or customized cars. In my travels and experance they seem to have more bugs to sort out then normal. But thats just the purist in me. It will be the love of the car that makes you buy it. GM did sell the 215 to Rover and regretted doing that. I remember back in the day people would pull thoes 215's out of the Buicks and Oldsmobiles and put them in their MG's. They put out more horsepower then the MG motor and was way lighter too

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
    I don't know...do you really like the car? It sounds like it's going to be a money pit to me...(I'm a card carrying money pit buyer though). It's a car that's not worth much to begin with, and I think the engine conversion may even lessen the value. I don't think I'd pay more than 2,500 if I were in your shoes. I would DEFINITELY take a light refrigerator magnet and check for excessive filler and take a good look underneath the car. Michigan cars will have some filler, I just prefer to know where it is! Good luck...let us know how it turns out. Just remember...if you don't love it, look for something you do...you probably won't be turning this one for a profit.
    The car definitely has potential but I'm not married to it. If it was another Nova, then that would be a different story. What originally drew me to it is the price but after listing everything wrong with it, it does seem like a bit of a basketcase. If I did buy it I wouldn't likely sell it any time soon, I tend to keep hold of my cars for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverObserver View Post
    A trunk can tell you stories about how the car was taken care of and is a sign / omen to what the undercarrage is like. These cars are famous for rusting in the back window area, the trunk area since its a 47 year old car im almost certain the original weather stripping is most likely gonzo, even more so since its a Michigan car.

Myself sight unseen id pass on the car. Unless you plan on keeping the car, youll never get out of it whatever you put into it. Personally I dont buy peoples modified or customized cars. In my travels and experance they seem to have more bugs to sort out then normal. But thats just the purist in me. It will be the love of the car that makes you buy it.
    I know I'll never really get back out of the Nova what I paid for it, but I don't plan on every parting with it. The modifications were done okay, not well by my standards (which aren't all that high) I really don't want to pay a good price and then have to spend another $1000-1500 to get it done right.

I think I'm going to pass on this one.

Kewlness, im not trying sway you to or not to buy the car, just that in many cases ive seen happen, a money pit is buying someone elses project car that theyve given up on. But thats just MY opinion, im a purist. I only buy these 40-50 year old cars to keep and want them to look and run as they did right off the showroom floor. Unmolested.

LOL they always say theyll never part with the car ...Famous last words, anythings for sale at the right price.

I have to go along with not buying something that somebody else modified. The big question is: did they know what they were doing?! After seeing a home-modified car come apart (literally!) at about 65 MPH I swore off buying modifieds, the only exception is if I personally knew the modifier!