263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump

Fuel Pump

Getting ready to go on a 3,000 mile trip so since my fuel pump was really old I bought a new one from a reputable supplier. I realize it is a rebuild. I have read about other people commenting about fuel pumps leaking engine oil. This new one also leaks. My old duel diaphram GM pump did not leak. Does any one know where I can get a kit to rebuild that one?

fuel pump

www.bobsautomobilia.com has both pumps rebuilt with fresh ingredients, or kits so you can rebuild your own. Both are ethanol resistant.
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 08-19-2010 at 09:46 AM.

3000 miles is a long way. The rebuilt pumps may have kits in them 40+ yrs. old. you would probably be better served with a good brand name electric pump from Summit Racing with a regulator.

Fuel Pump

You may want to add an electric fuel pump even if you fix the stock pump. Modern gas with ethanol is more volatile and prone to vapor lock.

We run an auxiliary electric fuel pump on our 1941 Packard. Just returned from the Hemmings Challenge (about 1700 miles), and had to use the electric pump a lot in 100+ degree heat under extreme driving conditions. We took this car on The Great Race in 2005, in rain, snow, 105 degree heat, and over the Continental Divide 3 times.....never missed a beat when the electric pump was on (and that was over 4500 miles).

Carburetor cars are a real headache at altitude and in hot weather. We were climbing through an 11,000+ foot pass in our '56 T-bird and she would barely run; clicked on the electric pump and off she went (btw, that was an 8,500 mile trip).

I don't know what year Buick you have, but I highly recommend an auxilliary electric pump for any car; especially a 6 volt car as it saves a lot of cranking to start.

Make sure you use a good pressure regulator; 2-3 lbs of pressure is all you need depending on your car.

Have a great Trip!

Pat

I like the kits that you get from egge.com.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Here's my track record with rebuilt pumps and leaking oil.

1. Rebuilt original with kit from, I believe, CARS. Leaked after about a week.

2. Rebuilt pump from CARS. Leaked after about two or three months. Started hammering like it had a broken spring after about 3 years.

3. Replaced with rebuilt pump from Bob's. Leaked after about a week, after awhile it leaked enough to leave a patch on the ground. One of the oil seals was slightly damaged when the retainer was pushed in it seems.

4. Rebuilt that pump myself with kit from Antique Auto Cellar. Leaked after about a month. Still leaking.

I give up. I think it's just going to leak. No real need for me to go electric. I have 60s cars if I want to drive thousands of miles. I'd never take this 10 MPG beast that far, even though it sounds like fun sometimes.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
    Here's my track record with rebuilt pumps and leaking oil.

1. Rebuilt original with kit from, I believe, CARS. Leaked after about a week.

2. Rebuilt pump from CARS. Leaked after about two or three months. Started hammering like it had a broken spring after about 3 years.

3. Replaced with rebuilt pump from Bob's. Leaked after about a week, after awhile it leaked enough to leave a patch on the ground. One of the oil seals was slightly damaged when the retainer was pushed in it seems.

4. Rebuilt that pump myself with kit from Antique Auto Cellar. Leaked after about a month. Still leaking.

I give up. I think it's just going to leak. No real need for me to go electric. I have 60s cars if I want to drive thousands of miles. I'd never take this 10 MPG beast that far, even though it sounds like fun sometimes.

I had an external fuel pump oil leakage problem, after installing a rebuilt fuel pump. I just couldnt get it stopped. Thankfully I have a few oldtimer car, and Buick friends I can call. first thing I was asked was, 'did I install the crankcase deflector shield', it goes on with the gasket. well the answer was no, and now recalling that little item I couldnt find it. That is a problem thats caused by the fuel pump being directly installed on the crankcase and subject to oil spray. maybe a tin shield or full cover gasket may fix it.

That's a great idea, 39...I think it'll be tough to cut the inner hole out of tin, but I'll just cut a new gasket and just leave enough for the pump arm to move. Thanks!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Fuel Pump leak

Thank you everybody for your suggestions, solutions and experiences. I think I will just stuff a rag down there around the fuel pump, catch the oil and change it occationally when required.

Fuel pump

The 53 straight eight 263 engine uses a slightly different pump with only a small hole for the breather. That can be made smaller with a couple of screws. Otherwise its the same pump as earlier models. Looks like Buick had a small problem with the breather, and closed up the hole, allowing the road draft tube to do all the breathing.
    These old eights did tend to produce blow by, which seems to be the problem with our fuel pumps.