- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlamps flashing on and off misery!

Headlamps flashing on and off misery!

I own a 1970 GS 455 and have had a recent problem with my headlights flashing on and off. At first, it only did it on high beam. Then I tried some advice from some Buick members and replaced the headlight switch, the foot dimmer switch and the high beam bulbs and unfortunately it didn't do anything. In fact, it made it worse, because now they flash on high and low!!!

I guess I officially have a short/draw somewhere. Now the fun begins... Anyone having some other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Divecop

I guess I officially have a short/draw somewhere.

eh, you could have an open as well. in fact, i would expect a "short" to be blowing fuses.

sounds to me like the connectors that you plug the bulbs into might actually be a problem.

check them thoroughly for corrosion. if you can get the individual lugs out of the connector you might want to take them apart and re-solder the wires too them.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks Bob. They did look ok overall, but I did not take the sockets off the wires. I WD-40'd them real good. Maybe i'll take them apart tomorrow and check them out better.

Thanks, Divecop

Check your ground wires for the headlights. HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

you might have a "partly" blown fuse. didn't blow all the way, but opens and closes as current goes thru it
    g'luck

Check all of your ground wires. You have one on both sides of the core support in the headlight harness. Make sure they are secure against the core support. Sometimes, people paint the core support, and try to put a ground wire on the painted surface. Your ground should be placed against bare metal and then painted over for looks.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Quote Originally Posted by carmantx View Post
    Check all of your ground wires. You have one on both sides of the core support in the headlight harness. Make sure they are secure against the core support. Sometimes, people paint the core support, and try to put a ground wire on the painted surface. Your ground should be placed against bare metal and then painted over for looks.

You may have solved my problem as I know the core supports and inner fender wells were powdered coated just before I bought the car not too long ago! I'm going to check it out first thing in the morning. I'll let you know how I made out.

Thanks, Divecop

Im an electrical engineer fyi

You a short in your electrical to the block or frame. If you trace the wires and dont find it I may know where it is. Check your fusable link and wiring near and connected to the starter . Its hard to see or tell be u may have some bar wire sitting on the control arm under the exahust manifold. I know this because I rewired my entire skylark myself. That electrical line that goes to the starter (spliced into main battery cable) if it were to ground out it would cause your head lights to flash or go out completely but everything else will work perfectly. The wire im specifically refering to is the hardest one to see if you got under the car. The tap that is the closest to right fender.
    Last edited by josrocket; 08-13-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carmantx View Post

I buffed the paint off the fender supports and sanded the contact points, but still no luck. Gonna try some of the other tips and keep going til I get it. Thanks again, Divecop

check the headlight switch in the dash as well. the wiring on the back of that could be going bad.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)