- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Dynaflow Question

Dynaflow Question

It's time to change the fluid in my 1950 Buick Special with a Dynaflow transmission. My question is, can this be done by any garage/mechanic or should it be brought to a transmission shop? Also, before getting this done is there anything I should know?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Scott

dyna

Hello friends all over.I drain my dyna every 3 year.take of the
    oil pan,clean the filter,drain converter.I always use Quaker state
    dextron in my dyna.Works fine.
    Stubbe

dnya flow service

a lot of the folks that have dyna flow also add a qt of 30w non detergent oil for the lack of lubes in newer fluid

Dynaflow

Well I took the dive and did it myself. Wasn't too bad at all. Thought I'd post the steps for anyone else who can use this information.
    1. Warm up transmission; remove bell house cover
    2. Loosen one converter drain plug, through opening in the flywheel, (the other plug is diametrically opposed to the first) then turn the flywheel until opposite drain plug is straight down and remove this plug to allow converter to drain completely. HINT: Spray a little Marvel Mystery Oil on both plugs and let them set for awhile - otherwise you risk stripping the head of the plug. Also, I cranked it until the plug was just on one side of the oil pain and used a deep 7/16 socket and a breaker bar to free the plug.
    3. Remove drain plug and allow oil pan to drain completely. DO NOT REMOVE THE ACCUMULATOR PLUGS - they are the two large plugs on either side of the transmission pan.
    4. Install and tighten all drain plugs and install bell housing cover.
    5. Put 3 quarts of Dexon III Type oil in the transmission. With engine idling and transmission in park complete the refilling to bring oil level to 1 3/4 below "FULL" mark on the gauge rod. When transmission is warmed up, the oil level should be at "FULL" mark on the gauge rod.

The [I]Series 40-50[I] transmission requires approximately 8 1/2 quarts total and the Series 70 transmission requires approximately 10 quarts total.

Well that's it! Wasn't too bad at all. Hardest part was spraying the plugs and waiting for the Marvel Mystery Oil to loosen them up.