Thread: 1962 Skylark

1962 Skylark

Does anyone know if the skylark with the 215 came with a radiator shroud? If not any ideas on how to keep the car cool in traffic?

many ways to go about this

My car 63 buick skylark didn't come with shroud. If your 62 didn't come with it then you can choose to find one that fits or make one.
    On Carcraft or Hotrod magazine, website, they had a DIY on how to make one.

If your car is overheating or running hot in traffic, then why is it.
    Is your carburetor adjustment at IDLE too high? engine is creating heat but no air movement.
    When does the temperature thermostat opens up at? There is a good probability you may have 190F rated. My car is rated for 160F factory , but parts store will show catalog that 190F is for my car.

What spark plugs are you running? They come in different heat range, cold and hot. One is for city, stop and go, and the other is for cross country travel.

What is the cooling system like? Old coolant, radiator looks restricted inside, accumulation of corrosion. will affect cooling system from doing it's job.

You can add a aftermarket fan with more blades if you have the four blade factory.

Lastly, if you say I don't give a care about all those things, I want cooling. Then you could add auxiliary fans/ electrical fans . This choice means you are going to move away from Original look.

make sure radiator doesn't have blockage.

you can also add high temp wrap on exhaust pipes to lower temperatures.

hmm makes me wonder now, my 62 Skylark dosent have a shroud either. Just that protective curved metal piece, Im assuming that its to protect you fingers ..... My theory is and has always been that since the car has dummy lights on the dash I added a small tempreture gauage. Its not one of thoes huge gawdy things, its small and mounted above the drivers side vent lever. My Skylark hovers just under 180 degrees. If the skylark was born with a shroud id also like to know. I use the car as a daily driver, not a garage queen. Its never once gotton hot even in the worst of summers or in go nowhere fast rushhour communte. I drive the car about 50 miles a day from here to San Francisco and back.