Thread: 1950 3-piece back glass install

Unhappy 1950 3-piece back glass install

I just installed the 3-piece back glass on my 56r. i used a steele seal and glass from a different 56r. i had quite a hard time installing the glass but its in well sorta the center glass is in but the pass. side in is in but the rubber doesn't seem to fit tight on the glass on the bottom curve but on the drivers side it does. the seal is over the pinch weld all the way around. i cant slide the glass and i dont want to remove all 3 pieces and start over. its not real bad but its not like the drivers side or the center glass. so on to my next question when i install the s.s. trim around the window the bottom trim has clips that slide in between the rubber will that tighten up that gap on the glass? and the top trim that has nut and screw clip how should i go about getting them to line up with the holes in the car itself? i thought there were holes in the rubber and if there were there not lining up. so i dont want to start pokeing arround and possibly damaging the seal. so any ideas on that?

THANKS
    1lowbuick

I'm not sure if this is the same system as the 1957 buick 3 piece rear window but if it is then the stainless trim goes on the pinchweld first and then the rubber is put on the glass and then installed from the inside of the car-the rubber is not over the pinchweld -it is held against the pinchweld with screws and retainers from the inside.You need to put window sealer around the pinchweld before putting the stainless trim on and also on the rubber where it presses on the pinchweld from inside-also it pays to seal around the glass on the outside even though Buicks never had sealer from new.I bought a 1957 "body service manual" and it details all trim,window install and many other good diagrams-well worth getting.All this is for my 57 but I'm not sure if it applies to your 56.Good luck.Curly.