From the Reference Section:
- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73 buick Regal restoration project.

73 buick Regal restoration project.

Whats up everybody; this is my first restoration project that I am doing. I just purchased my regal today. the chevy 350 has a 3 speed attatched to it and its having carb issues. I was able to get it running with alot of coaxing(starter fluid and gas) and it ran and drove about 30 minutes total today for a total of about 20 miles. Then it started sputtering and stalled as I was driving. This website has the specs of my car.

http://classiccardatabase.com/specs....4&view=details

After it died The engine would not turn over again; the starter wouldn't even attempt to engage.

I am not a mechanic but can do basic things. I need to know what I should do about my carb issue? Should I just replace?

Also with the battery issue, I am going to get it tested as well as the alt(if needed) any suggestions why it wouldn't turn over all the sudden?

I've got a Chevy pickup that has to be coaxed to start like that because it needs a fuel pump and I just haven't put one on yet. Check the battery cables and fusible links for the no start problem. Get it running before condemning the carburetor. If it still needs work, I'd get it rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. Slapping on a generic replacement usually involves screwing around with linkages and choke styles and other stuff. Sticking with the original is best.

My first guess is the alternator is gone - you drove the 20 miles on the battery.

jump it with another (good) battery - it should start - remove the good battery, it will die = alternator is gone

Quote Originally Posted by BigRivy View Post
    I've got a Chevy pickup that has to be coaxed to start like that because it needs a fuel pump and I just haven't put one on yet. Check the battery cables and fusible links for the no start problem. Get it running before condemning the carburetor. If it still needs work, I'd get it rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. Slapping on a generic replacement usually involves screwing around with linkages and choke styles and other stuff. Sticking with the original is best.
    I have great fuel pressure. The previous owner of the car said they had carb issues as well. I was going to buy a a reman carb to put on it just a strait 4 bolt swap. I wanna use the same carb. I just don't understand the issue. If it was a 2bbl and needed to be a 4 bbl would it make that big of a difference? Also how can I determine the model of the carb?

Quote Originally Posted by WildKitty View Post
    My first guess is the alternator is gone - you drove the 20 miles on the battery.

jump it with another (good) battery - it should start - remove the good battery, it will die = alternator is gone
    I tried to jump it with my father-in-laws impala(04) and thats when it wouldn't even begin to turn over. and it seemed like from that point it was gone. I figured to just go have both the battery and alternator tested at the local parts house.

have you tried just jumping the starter?
    no sense "fixing" any carb issue intil you get
    it to turn over

it was turning over and running but I think that the problem with the vehicle dying was due to either a bad alt or battery. I ran it a good 15 miles before it died. I don't know if my alt is not putting a charge back into the battery or the battery is just dead. The car before I got it running hadn't been ran in 7 years. To answer your question though. No I haven't "jumped" the starter. So I have a full understanding of what you mean; please explain "jumping the starter"

To jump the starter first pull the plug wire off of the ignition coil. Then grab a screw driver with a long handle on it. Carefully place the shaft of the screw driver between the positive and negative terminals of the starter solenoid. This will turn the screw driver into a manual switch, overriding your ignition switch. It's going to spark, don't be scared. Make sure your hand isn't on the metal shaft of the screwdriver. Don't hold the screwdriver down making contact for too long because it will arc enough to weld itself to your solenoid, and thats not good. This will at least help you diagnose if the starter is bad without having to remove it from the vehicle and bench testing it.
    Project car + budget = headache.

Thanks specs!

I will let you know how it goes! Great Signature. The headache worth it tho!!!!!!!

73 Regal restortion project

Did you drain the gas tank and put in fresh?

Did you drain the oil and put in fresh before you tried to run this engine?

Did not drain the fuel, but she has all new fluids other than that. I can drain the gas as well; could that have something to do with it?