Thread: "HELP" engine and trans. identification

Question "HELP" engine and trans. identification

Hey to all, I`m new to this great site."THANKS" I need help with
    identification of an all aluminum Buick engine # is JN 475 which I believe is 215 200hp 1963 Skylark. The engine block has the extra holes in the deck around the cyl. bores (extra head bolt). The pistons are flat tops with the valve reliefs. The passenger side cyl. head has S252894G stamped into the front end. The valve covers are 5 bolt. The valve cover has 5 ribs that run parallel to length of valve cover with a rectangular tag 3/4x6 long toward the front of it. How do I identify the trans? The pan has 20 flange bolts. measuring the pan from outer flange edge its 13 1/2 x 17 1/4 long with a 7/8 hex head drain plug toward the left rear. The shift lever is mounted at rear left and has 6 positions.There is a spring loaded (kick down?) lever located left middle ways of the pan. The input shaft splines into the flywheel. The flywheel has springs in it like a clutch disc. The id tag is on the right front forward side, # is OD563-12602 and was orange when new. Is there a site I can go to for this info? Thanks! Larry

# is JN 475 which I believe is 215 200hp 1963 Skylark. The engine block has the extra holes in the deck around the cyl. bores (extra head bolt). ... The passenger side cyl. head has S252894G stamped into the front end. The valve covers are 5 bolt

this is very interesting. that appears to be an Olds engine with a Buick stamping designation. i wonder if some of the Olds 215 production made it into the Buick Special at the end of the 1963 model year, since the 215 was being phased out? if Olds had some surplus engines and Buick was trying to fill it's last few orders...

can you find the Engine Identification Number? the first digit of that should be a "4" if it's a "Buick" application engine.

i think i'd give D&D a call and see if they can make heads or tails of your casting numbers. i suspect your head should actually be a "946".

http://www.aluminumv8.com/tech/tech.htm
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the reply . The number on the left side rear of block is CFD PM4 and under that is 347044. What you said about it maybe being a Pontiac 215 was my thoughts. AS far as I can tell the JN 475 on the front right of cyl. head area implies 63 Buick Skylark. Did Buick have the extra bolt (six holes) around the cyl. area? Maybe only the HP four barrel versions? The blocks I have seen were cast for this but not drilled and tapped. Thanks Larry
    Last edited by gittergone; 07-11-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Did Buick have the extra bolt (six holes) around the cyl. area?

not that i've ever heard.

What you said about it maybe being a Pontiac 215 was my thoughts.

there's very little documentation about any of the GM 215's.

i've never found as much for the Olds as i have for the Buick and the Pontiac guys seem to ignore it altogether.

my reference book says that a Pontiac should have one of six stampings on it:
    XA, XS, YS, 91Z or 97Z

the Olds stampings are also completely different from the Buick engine codes. so i agree, it would seem to be a Buick application. but i'm not aware of any Buicks that used the 6 head bolts.

if it is an Olds assembly, the heads would certainly be different from the Buick castings. if anyone has these head casting codes, it would be D&D.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I`ll give D&D a call tomorrow. Thanks much. Larry