Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Brake Upgrade

Info On Power Brakes for '62 Skylark

UO,
    Here are a number of folks that specialize with '62 Buick Specials/Skylarks and Olds Cutlass. My e-mail is also listed. I have researched this for over two years and you can take the info from these folks as gospel.
    It is next to IMPOSSIBLE to install an aftermarket booster on these cars. There are electric boosters and other things / look in Speedway.
    If you HAVE to have power brakes FIND A PARTS CAR! Otherwise go the route of non-power discs on front (Scarebird) and keep your drums on the rear. Here are a list of resources.
    jdanielshea@verizon.net (Dan Shea - me)
    n2billet@verizon.net (Keith Stephens)
    grime1@rogers.com (Warren Grimm)

Keith and a buddy have a custom shop east of Dallas and have done at least 6 Skylarks and Cutlass. They know their stuff.

Warren can forward you an e-mail (so can I) that is a correspondense to another rodder that lists ALL of the things you will need to put discs on the front and make the car stop on a dime.

I haven't ask these guys if I can abuse them this way, but they are really great folks and like to lend a hand with info.

Hit me on e-mail and I can forward most of their info to you.
    Here are other resources:
    www.rareparts.com
    www.buicks.net
    www.buickpartsdirectory.com
    www.classicbuicks.com
    www.kanter.com
    www.oldbuickparts.com
    www.egge.com
    www.aluminumv8.com #1 source for engine performance with 215s!!!

Good Luck!
    Dan

Funny, I was looking at the first photo after I posted it an noticed my car serial# stamped into the frame rail right under the master cylinder. Never saw that before.

Since someone already mentioned the electric option, I figured I would post what I am going to attempt to make fit... These are hydraboost systems from Chevy Astro Vans/GMC Safari Vans. Here are two different types varied by years. Other vehicles such as some Cobra Mustangs and other performance vehicles have used this style setup as well as 1 ton trucks. Some heavy trucks even used a similar system w/ electric assist also. Obviously these hydraboosts are smaller then the ones used on the 1 ton truck and heavy trucks. The ruler is 18" long. These use hydraulic pressure from a power-steering pump to assist with brake pressure thus the given name.
    Last edited by Buickspec6231; 07-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Project car + budget = headache.

On ebay theres a 62 Skylark parts car. Its rusty as hell but its all there. If someones in or around Florida and can get the car home cheap, its got the power brake booster setup as well as factory air. Ive emailed the seller in case he wants to part it out

I didn't bookmark the article, but the electyric booster systen I was talking about is two parts; the booster mounts on the chassis, only the MC mounts on the firewall

maybe google "electyric brake booster"

"Muscle Cars" had a bit about it on their TV show.
    Butch

power brakes on 62

Hydraboost runs on steering system. You can add power booster to your car. Can you count how many model cars have been made with power brakes. That's how many cars you need to look up. No one is going to have an answer for you unless , they have done it.

Making a change to your brakes is of safety concern.

I suggest you post at yahoogroup "skylakr616263"

or

compactbuickclub.org

But don't take my word for it. Do your homework/research.

Quote Originally Posted by Buickspec6231 View Post
    I have a '62 Special Wagon. There isn't much room for anything but the original booster setup. I have a couple pictures of the booster I tried to buy off of ebay but I lost. I will try to attach them here, if not I can email them to you. I recently just purchased a Hydraboost system off of a couple mid-90's astrovans that I am going to make work. I have checked the Hollander interchange manual and absolutely no other brake system interchanges. I did buy the scarebird adapters myself but haven't used them yet. I did also buy Ford 8.8 rear with disk brakes from my local junk yard for $100.... just another option for out back. And just to add. If anyone else needs some interchange info send an email and I will check the book. Good luck, let me know how you work it out.

You know something, I just stumbled on a trashed 62 Speical wagon today. Only had a For Sale sign in the window. The windows are all grafittied up with the guys number and for sale in colored pen. The inside is tore up and the body is primered red. Its missing the roof rack. It was in San Francisco on the street so I took it upon myself and popped the hood on the car. Being inconspeicous and all. Its got the brake booster I think would work on the Skylark I have. So I may call the number , offer the guy 200 bucks and tow the car back home. Ive been told by SO many people that that brake set-up is gold. One of thoes " If you can find it " parts. Havent decided if ill actually get it or not.

UO, I hope you git it...
    You can do everythng on your special, and when the spirit moves ya, - if you want, restore the wagon -
    maybe drop a newer V6 innit

Umm no way ! Not me. The Speical is beyond restoring. Its hammered. The wagon is toast. Out of morbid curousity I had a friend call the number plastered all over the windows and asked about it. The woman who answered said to call back in a few hours. He did. This time she was nicer , remembering him from the first call she got her bf and I talked about the 62 Speical with him. The cars got the 215 motor in it. Now I thought the Speicals all came with the V-6. He says the oil pump quit on it which might somewhat exopalin why the valve covers are missing. Id guess he wanted to see if oil was circulating. The inside is wasted. Seats all torn up and off the track, bird crap is caked all over the body and its a tad rusty. He says the tranny was rebuuilt a few years ago or somthing. A fart in the wind since the motor is bad. I told the guy it wouldnt be worth it even for me to pay the 180 dollars or so for a tow to Concord from Frisco which is about 30 miles. To be honest all I want off the thing is the brake set-up. He knows this. The rest of the Speical is pretty roached. If I knew how to id post pics here of it from my phone since I took pics of the car with it. To be honest since its not a coupe, not a convertable theres really no value to it. We will call back tommorow and offer maybe 200 bucks for the car, if he accepts ill make the drive back to San Francisco pay him and with toolbox in hand strip it right there on the street. Its either take my offer since im the only bite hes gotton for it, or eventually the city will tow it since Potreo Avenue is a busy street and once the city impounds the car, he will get nothing , he wont pay to get it out of impound and they will crush it into a few thousand Hondas. Im going to pursue this thing.
    Last edited by UndercoverObserver; 08-14-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Words of advice, if you plan to pull the HK unit off you will need an 1/2" swivel and 12" extension in order to access the firewall bolts. It almost appeared that the bolts locations were placed there by a mad man. No wrench or socket will work. My 2 cents worth. My KH unit is in sunny and broke California being rebuilt at the moment, I hope, at Karps Brake.

Capt. Mike Linbeck