Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Brake Upgrade

Power Brake Upgrade

Hello, my 62 Skylark when new wasnt optioned with power brakes. I want to make it a power brake car. Is anything compatable to use on the car? By the looks a booster wouldnt fit since the crossbeam makes little room for a power brake booster. Ive looked for a pic of a 62 Skylark with power brakes and havent found one. Thanks in advance

I suspect you have a few auto salvage yards around. I got a nice booster off a 94 Buick Century (8" dia) and a rebuilt dual resevoir, from Quest Auto ($20 w/core). I got the partitioning valve off aa astro van, that I got the rotor discs off of

FYI, I'm using Scarebird caliper brackets for the disc upgrade.

Ok, I had hoped maybe I could pull a booster from another car thats compatable with the 62 skylark. No, the wreckers around here are pretty much gone. Closest is about 60 miles away.

60s Buicks are tricky to remod - you can't search for anything "for" a 62_____, 64______, it didn't exist.

8" booster is about as small as you can get, that you have room for. You might have to move the cross member - I never thought about that cuz there isn't one on my 64s.

Google "8" power booster setup" - you will come up with a list of vendors. you can use the single resevoir for the core for the two resevoir upgrade. you should be able to come in under $100.

Google "salvage yards usa" you will get a listing of salvage yards that UPS used stuff across the country.

for something as important as brakes, I would spend the $100 knowing you have new & rebuilt - with a warrentee/ guarantee. - - I owned the Century, so I know the stuff I've taken off it is good.

edit:
    google "Cardon Brakes" they have the 8" setup.
    Let us lnow how you do
    Butch
    64 Wildcat
    64 LeSabre

Ok, at first I thought if I could find a donor car..... like a 62 LeSabre or Invicta and use its booster and rotors but got told it wouldnt work. Ive looked for pics of a skylark equiped with power brakes to get an idea how the factory mounted the booster but havent found any yet.

For example, I once many moons age owned a 1965 Mercury Parklane. That car didnt have power brakes. A ford nut told me if I could find a 78 Monarch it had the setup I needed to make my 65 a power brake car. The rotor setup , the booster ....everything. believe it or not. Im still learning the whole Buick thing so I thought id put it out there. Thanks for the input
    Last edited by UndercoverObserver; 07-15-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Power Brakes for '62 Skylark

Hey UO,
    I have a '62 Special and am going with a complete upgrade with air ride and the works. Hate to break it to you, but you are SOL. The '62 Buick is a one-of-a-kind unit. Unless you have a parts car with PBs a booster is next to impossible to find. I have worked with a number of guys that have updated the brakes and here is my distillation of the suggestions:
    Use a '76 to '79 Ford Fairmont 2-stage master cylinder.
    1. Lines are out on the engine side. You will have to fabricate a mounting plate that is a wedge shape to level the MC ot it will tilt down at too strong of an angle. call me and I can give you much more detail.
    2. Switch to the Scarebird discs on the front and you will have all of the stopping power you need as the car is very light weight.
    3. Don't even try to put discs opn the rear.

As I said call me and I can give you A LOT of info and contacts that will save you much misery and time!
    Dan Shea - 940-293-3262 / call most any evening.

try here

Try this place online out in CA. I saw a 60 LeSabre like mine sporting a dual chamber master cylinder so I emailed the guy and that is where he got his from in kit form. The site is easy to search, maybe they can help you out. http://www.abspowerbrake.com/index.html

Geeze, it sounds tougher then I ever dreamed. Im thinking twice about the changeover now. Ive been looking fior a parts car with no luck.

UO, is this the only modifiction you intend to make to the Buick?

what do you consider your level of mechanical ability?

I've emailed my friend in Concord, who's done considerable restor/modifications of his own, and has followed me with what I've done on the Wildcat.

I asked him to send me the names/locations of Salvage Yards in your area

you can't let something as trivial as a crossmember twhart your plans. I'd guess it's purpose is to keep the fenders from spreading.

I can't visualize under the hood of your car right now, but if the breather is in the way of putting the crossmember in front of the carb, you only have to change breathers. the snorkle on the air cleaner is only good for the choke function - I don't think you really need a choke where you are. if the oil breather hose goes into the snorkle or the side of the top of the breather, there's an adapter kit to redirect the hose to the bottom of the breather.

Alphabetical listing of salvage yards in Calif..
    even one in Concord

http://1077.yippie.biz/ca/