From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '62 Special 4-lug to 5-lug wheels

Question '62 Special 4-lug to 5-lug wheels

Related to the brake issue, I'm looking to convert from 4-lug to 5-lug. Heard that '65 to '69 corvair front hubs are a direct fit for 5-lug. Anyone ever change out the rear end for something stronger with 5-lug and disc already in place? Thoughts? Thanks, Dan

I compared the bearings on the '62 Special to other vehicles. The list is almost endless how many vehicles used the same inner and outer bearings for the front wheel hubs. In theory any of the hubs with the same bearings should match up. I got my hubs off of a Corvair at the local junk yard, but I also test fit hubs from a Chevy G-10 sport wagon van.... same correct fit. Let me know if you want a full interchange list of the bearings.

As for the rear end...... I would use a GM 8.5" from a 4WD S-10/15 or Blazer/Jimmy. These came many with factory disk. Another option is (Don't hate me for saying it.... the Ford 8.8) The 8.8 is significantly stronger then the GM 8.5" and other 10bolts, and much closer to the strength of a 12bolt. and is more plentiful. These are being used in many different models of Ford and Merc. I got mine at the junk yard for $100. The rear already had disk brakes, 3.73 gears and Ford's equivalent to posi-traction. Mine is out of a 2000 Mountaineer. Another issue is Ford uses a 5x4.5" bolt pattern compared to GM's 5x4.75
    Last edited by Buickspec6231; 07-18-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Project car + budget = headache.

Buickspec
    are the chevy astro and 64 wildcat/LeSabre from bearings interchangable? I know the outter bearings are the same
    tks
    Butch

Butch: My interchange manual only covers '59-'68 years. But I went on the Napa website and punched in the info. You are correct, the front outer wheel bearings are the same. But the inner bearings are showing a different part number and specs between the astro van and Wildcat.

Astro Van:
    Wheel Bearing I.D. : 1.25"
    Wheel Bearing O.D. : 2.328"
    Wheel Bearing Width : .625"
    Wheel Bearing Type : Tapered

Wildcat:
    Wheel Bearing I.D. : 1.375"
    Wheel Bearing O.D. : 2.563"
    Wheel Bearing Width : .71"
    Wheel Bearing Type : Tapered

And I was just thinking outloud when I thought to myself, Just because the hub will actually bolt onto and roll smooth for ever it does not mean that the brake set up will work. Hub size and drum size are going to mean different things. I don't know if this applies to your situation or not.

~Dan
    Last edited by Buickspec6231; 07-19-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Project car + budget = headache.

Dan, thanks
    the 12" rotors require that I go with 16" wheels - to get around the caliper.. notta problem, going with custom wheels anyway. low profile tires should give me plenty of turning room

reading the other thread, now I'm hoping the Scarebird kit is the correct one.. don't want to end up peddling this set so I can purchase the right one
    Butch

So is there a "best" way to add 5 lug "disk" to the front of a Special?

What about brake booster and powersteering.

opinions?

I'd like to have a safe modernized cruiser without clipping it.
    (although that is an option)

1963 Skylark

Hey Dan, I'm near Denton too.
    are you related to Joe Shea?
    Last edited by Rogue; 08-22-2010 at 01:53 PM.

4 to 5 lug 62 Special

A number of mid-60s Chevy drum brake hubs will work in place of the 4-lug Buick: 68-69 Camero, 64-66 Chevelle and Nova. You may have to shave the outside a couple of thousand, but they will do the job. Then it looks like the ScareBird package is a bolt on from there. I've got more info that I can b ounce to you if you hit me back on e-mail. Let me know!
    jdanielshea@verizon.net

Daniel

I gave up on using the rotors from the astro, but I was under the impression the calipers would work with Rivvy rotors

Not so... the inside measurement of the caliper is 2&3/8"s - with the brake pads, there is not enough space for the width of the rotor

I haven't figured out why folks don't use the Rivvy calipers when they use the Scarebird brackets.

Do you know another caliper that will fit?
    Thanks a bunch.

I put this here so others might benifit from your input
    Thanks
    Butch

'62 Special Front Disc.

I have a lot of e-mail form numerous sources that have been a ton of help. I need to condense all of that info into a more useable format that I can pass on more easily.
    That said, it appears that the best option is '83 to '90 Chevy S10 front rotors and loaded calipers for same from NAPA. They should be a direct bolt on to the ScareBird set up.
    This is the next step on my Special. I've found a location for the parts. Just waiting for my next bonus check to jump into the conversion. As I get into it I'll post my experience and what worked for me.
    Hit me on e-mail and I can forward the string that has most of the info.
    Thanks,

'62 Special Picture Help

Hey for some interesting pictures on my project you can go to FaceBook to my photo album. File size is too large for here. Cool dash set up and trans brace. I will post pictures of the brake and lug conversion as I get there. Find my by e-mail address:
    jdanielshea@verizon.net