Thread: Disc Brake Conversion on 1962 Special

Cool Disc Brake Conversion on 1962 Special

Looking for info on converting my '62 Special to disc brakes. Suggestions on what hubs, rotors, calipers and changeover kits. Have heard that the rear is a nightmare and a waste of time to try. Heard that the Scarebird kit is the best. Thoughts? Thanks, Dan

1962 Buick special disc brakes and lug conversion

Hello,

These topics are heavily covered in the yahoo chatgroup
    skylark616263@yahoogroups.com

Yes, the Corvair hubs will work-direct bolt on, as with Chevelle hubs (1965). A company called Scarebird (http://www.scarebird.com/) makes a very affordable disk brake conversion kit-they supply the bracket and all the part numbers for the parts that you'll need from NAPA or wherever you get your parts. HOWEVER, ask all the questions you need before you buy the kit. Afterwords you won't get any help. Before you buy tell Scarebird that you want to use 5 x 4.75 lug pattern (GM). Otherwise, you'll get the list of parts to fit the 4 lug.

As for the rear, about $100 and a good automotive machine shop will get your stock axles converted to 5 lug. There is NO rear that is an easy bolt in. Some use 2WD S-10 rears. I heard that a late model small Lincoln rear has mounts that are very close. Again, refer to the chatgroup.

Good luck,

Joe

I don't know if either of you have this information handy, but I saw the mention of telling scarebird that you wanted the 5x4.75 bolt pattern and they could hook you up with the parts needed for 5 lug... I wish I had done that. If someone has this info already it would save me tons of time and money at the junk yard with a tape measure. I only have the instructions for the 4 lug setup. Thanks ~Dan.
    Project car + budget = headache.

The setup I got from Scarebird didn't even come with instructions - - and they were less than nice when I asked questions aobout what parts I coould use. so I winged it and hope the astro calipers work - gonna be pizzed if they don't.. I'm in real deep for parts. no way I wanna go with 4 lug for the 4,000 lb beast

Well I sent scarebird an email about the 5-lug set up. The person who replied back to me said that they don't have a combination set up for 5 lugs yet... But in my honest opinion rotors are just metal and any machine shop could properly redrill the 4 lug rotor to fit the 5 lug hubs. This might be the way we have to do it.
    Project car + budget = headache.

That would entail filling the four lug bolt holes, and it would have to be done so the rotor came out evenly balanced.

there is a video on V8TV website that shows how the did the conversion on their 62 Electra, using scarebird brakets & auto parts store's parts.

they said the conversion was under $300.

I had to find/change inner bearings on the Astro discs so they would fit the leSabre (64)

I shouldda done more reading before I started buying "hoping" things would fit.
    Butch

The bearings that I could get for the Astro rotors were .002 over the spline on the LeSabre (guess it'll be the same for the Wildcat) I don't think it's a good idea to have ANY sloop in in something as important as the wheel bearings.

Sooooo. I wen't to my backup resource "WheatbeltBuicks" and bought a pair of 72 Rivvy rotors.

I also grabbed the center consol and shift linkage from the Rivvy - that's gonna make building the full length consol much easier.

What's not easy is working out in this 95* heat/humidity
    Butch