Thread: Rear axle oil seal?

Rear axle oil seal?

Hi,

I noticed some oil building up (and very slowly dripping) on the brake backplate behind the rear brakes on my '49 Sedan. I would think this indicates a rear axle oil seal failure. Does that sound correct?

Any idea what parts I may need to fix it? Is it a question of pulling the half shaft and resealing?

I will take the wheel off at the weekend and get a closer look.

Thanks,

Andrew
    http://www.bluemooncars.co.uk - Classic Buick wedding cars in the UK

Rear Axle Oil Seal

Step by step your gonna need lubricant for the rear end. 90 weight is superior to multivisconsity lubricants.

You'll need a new gasket , mentally note where the plug is located.
    3oclock, 4oclock, etc. cause the cover can go on in various positions

Next take off the wheel on the side of the leak, remove brake drum, brake line, and emergency brake cable.

Next unbolt the backing plate and remove. Now push toward the center of the car on the rear axle, there should be a little slop. This will take the tension off the clip that holds the axle in place.

There is a rectangular spacer that comes out as well as four small gears.

Gently remove axle holding it from dragging against the seals, inner and outer, remove seals, and replace with new ones.

Check the bearing race on the axle for wear.

Clean wheel bearing, and regrease with the heavy old fashioned fibrous grease. Inspect and reassemble. for parts suggest www.bobsautomobilia.com

Also you really should have a manual for this operation. Maybe Bob has a reprint 48-49 manual.

Keep in touch what you find out.
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 07-01-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Wow! That's a really great reply, thank you.

I will get the car on stands this weekend and take the wheel & hub off to see exactly what's going on. I have a shop manual and I'm reading the appropriate sections as I write this. It makes much more sense when read in conjunction with your post.

I'll need to order the parts from the US so it might be a few weeks before I sort this out properly but when I do I'll post some pics.

Thanks again,

Andy
    http://www.bluemooncars.co.uk - Classic Buick wedding cars in the UK

Rear Axle Oil Seal

I checked Bobs Automobilia and found they listed a gasket for the engine side of the banjo, but not the other side for the cover, which is the gasket you will want.I think what you'll want is Rear Axle Cover Gasket.
    Also on re-assembly, put a little thread sealer on each bolt that holds the rear axle cover. They love to seep fluid around the threads.

I have found that when the seal is leaking it means that maybe the bearing is wearing, and then later that brake cylinder starts leaking, or just the rear brake cyl is leaking, check everything around there its all related.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 07-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.