- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting help

starting help

what is the easiest way to make my 55 special a push button start? also my starter is spinning but wont catch the flywheel. what should I check first? I kno the starter is good.

If the starter is spinning and won't catch the flywheel your Bendix is shot. Pull the starter, remove the gear/spring thingee from the motor shaft and replace it. There are 2 wires connected to the starter switch on the side of the carburetor. Connect those to whatever switch you want to use.

I just had the starter rebuilt and tested. Everything tested good. Do the 2 wires from the carb need to be connected to anything else?

Starting Help

Call the guys that "repaired" you starter and ask them if they also checked the "bendix" (the springy thing) Betcha they didn't "cause usually they are concerned with the motor part of the starter only.

Let us know what they said.

With your starter removed check the condition of the ring gear teeth, If they are bad that can bee your starter problem. You can bench test your starter by clamping it in a vise and use jumper cables to attach it to a battery and jump from the pos. post to the solinoid post, (That push button you want to substitute with alligator clips will work well), Then you can see everything work. If your vise is not big enough you can just stand on it with your foot but expect som torque.

The proper action of the starter is the solinoid pushes the gear out to engage the flywheel then it starts to rotate, This happens very fast but it is two seperate operations. I test all staters before I install them because rebuilders can screw up. Some times it is a lot of work to install a starter and find the new one does not work.

I got the starter issue ironed out. Tested good and is back on the car now. I got everything wired for the push button start. Now when i try to crank it my crank pulley only moves a hair, the pulley was movable about a month ago when i got the car. I could move it alittle and it was kind of tough to turn but it did, now it doesnt wanna go. Any opinions, info, ideas, cause after spending most of the day just trying to get this starter straightened out my brain doesnt have any time or desire to think of anything. thanks to all who chimed in before.

I would pull the spark plugs and see if the motor spins free. I had the same starter problems, got the starter rebuilt only to realize my motor had spun bearings and was stuck. Spun bearings can free up but will stick again in another half revolution of the crank. I hope this is not your problem. good luck

i pulled the plugs and put about half a quart of marvel mystery oil in each hole. im going to let it sit for a day and then give it another go. if it ends up being stuck what do you suggest my best options are? thanks

If the motor is stuck I would pull the pan and check the rod caps. This will tell you if it is the bottom end or the top end. It is also a starting point to understand how much money you are going to have to dump into the engine. Rebuild parts are about $1000.00 and machine work is about the same. If it is too far gone consider buying a used motor. a lot of them go for $400-$600 range. Hopefully this is NOT your problem.

Good Luck

Joe