Thread: 69 Skylark - Carb advice.

69 Skylark - Carb advice.

Hi, and thanks for reading. I've got a '69 Skylark with a stock 2-barrel carburetor. The car is incredibly gassy and I'm wondering about rebuilding or replacing the carb. I've been afraid to tune or mess with this thing out of irrational fear of the unknown, but the time has come to enter the labyrinth.

Any guidance is very appreciated. This is my first trip down carburetor lane. My main question is should I simply replace the existing carb with another 2 barrel carb, or attempt to refurbish the existing one. Additionally, what is the recommended replacement carburetor? So far quadrajet is on the short list.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Personally, I always like to see the original. It is worth rebuilding. The best replacement would be to find an original type 4bbl setup and rebuild that to use.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks for the input.

thank you bob, i appreciate the advice.

Wink

If you go Q-jet you need the 4bbl manifold.Unless you have both laying around it's going to be a $500 swap.The rochester 2bbl is an easy rebuild,just remember to note which check ball is which.There are 2 & they are different sizes.If i can redo one,anyone can!
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Rebuild Carb

Rebuilt the 2 barrel carb on the kitchen counter with the boys watching. If you have a digital camera take pics as you take it apart and be patient. If you take the idle screws before you do count how many turns in before you take them out. The rebuild kit I bought didn't have the float so that was another trip to the auto parts store and a days wait for the wrong float. It can be done with patience. It took me a few trys to get the float level right using the little paper rule they give you I borrowed my nieghbors pocket machinists rule and it worked well. The boys were amazed that thier old man could do that stuff.