Thread: Shop manual

Shop manual

Hello all - I just picked up a clean 1970 skylark custom convertible with a 350-4. I have been searching for a Haynes or Chiltons manual for it, but apparently they don't exist. I've checked out ebay and there is a shop manual available. Can anyone tell me if a shop manual will help me with interior service, especially dashboard and switch R&R?
    Thanks in advance.

You can have a look at the 66 manual in the reference section to see what they are like. A lot better than chiltons. The next one to be offered on this site will be the '71.
    The shop manual is the best reference you can get to start with.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I only have experience with my '65 big series shop manuals not an actual '70. They have several exploded views of how the interior is assembled and what parts are used and a general overview of how it's installed. But not really specific, detailed instructions on how to fix things. It does have a lot of good info overall though and If the ebay manual is not too expensive I think it would be a valuable asset. In '65 there were 2 books for the big series. One was the general chassis service manual that is about 3" thick and another one that had more specific info on some of the options that were available and misc. stuff that was about 3/4" thick. There might be more than one available for the '70's also. When you have an exploded view of an assembly you can see where the screws or clips go that hold things together. This will help a lot when your trying to figure out how to take out switches etc. Now when it comes to getting a light, your arms and your eyes up behind a dash to remove something your kinda left to your own ingenuity. No manual will help you there. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BigRivy; 01-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Hi all, I agree that a shop manual is the best support you can find. I don't know for 70' but for my 67' it covers the whole car range with chassis/engine/trans/electrical infos you wish to have. In 67' you also had a 'Body by Fisher' manual that explains and shows all stuff for your interior/seats/dash jobs... It should exist for you... Chekout 'autoliterature' on Google, I bought there my excellent pdf copy of both books on one cheap CD.

Repair manuals

I appreciate the input, it looks like I'll pick up one of the shop manuals on ebay.
    By the way, I've already spent way too much time underneath too many dashboards with lights, tools, parts, etc- its no help being 200+, but once I start on my new years resolution......!

manuals

Hey, I purchased a motors repair manual for my 66 from this place, and they
    have a large range that they cover, may want to check it out.
    Hope this helps. http://www.books4cars.com/

Thanks 2dhardtop for the website. I just purchased the assembly manual for my 1970 Skylark. This manual not only covers the Skylark, but also several other 70 model buicks. The best part was the purchase price is only $29.95,
    thanks again.