-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: speedometer 53 buick

speedometer 53 buick

My driver Buick had a non functioning speedo....It's nice out so I dug in there to fix it. This was my first time messin with this stuff so I apologize if this seems like a dumb question.

First I disconnected the cable and drove around, I could feel it turning...Then I got into the speedo itself...at first I could not get it to turn and with wd40 and some luck I freed it up... I can turn the end of the speedo input and the needle responds...

So I hooked that sucker back up and went for a drive....nothing....much to my chagrin...

I inspected the speedo cable and it appears to be too thin to really drive anything....it's square in shape but it looks like something broke off the end...and I was just feeling the wire itself rotate....

IS this the case? What am I missing here?

End of the cable should be square. They simply form the end of the round cable into a square. Make sure you're getting the cable seated all the way into the speedometer. The retaining ring should be firmly seated into the speedo.

when you speak of the retaining ring...you mean the cap that screws it into place right?

You can remove the speedo by taking off the three nuts on the back, then remove the glass from the front by carefully prying up the crimped edge of the bezel. With the glass off remove the 2 screws that hold the mechanism to the case. Remove the needle by turning it to the left and pulling up (it is pressed in place) then clean and lube everything.

If it still does not work you will need another unit.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

And now the cable is not turning again....looks like I will have to check the connection on the bottom at the transmission and start over...maybe just pull the whole speedo cable and try to clean it out get it running agai n

Yes, the retaining ring is the nut that holds the cable in place. As you said, you need to check the transmission end of the cable. It is retained just like the speedo end. Clean the trans end before you remove the retaining ring. It's probably covered with old grease and dirt. Unscrew that end of the cable then pull enough of the cable out of the casing so you can stick the cable only back into the hole. When the cable is bottomed out, try to rotate the cable by hand. If it rotates at all, probably the bottom square end of the cable is worn and the cable will need to be replaced. If it doesn't turn the cable and drive should be good and the problem is in the speedometer head.

I get this feeling it was both....50+ year old cable and speedo both gummed up...The cable rotates intermittently.....I caught it moving one time and not moving another...the speedo was stuck as well....I freed the speedo....I can move it by hand and watch needle bounce....

Crawled under the car....cleaned tranny point where the cable connects.
    Man I need to degrease this beast....
    Cleaned everything out and inspected it all....reconnected cable....
    Went for a drive today....and I was going 40 mph in 3rd gear
    not sure of accuracy, but I do have a functioning speedo

Congratulations! If the speedo needle is jumping slightly and regularly it could stand a lube. Just pick up some cable lube at the auto parts, disconnect the cable from the speedo end and pour the stuff down the inside of the cable housing. Other than that it sounds like you're in business.