From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: 45-50 mph humm

Question 45-50 mph humm

Hey every one , I still got my 94 lesabre.
    ther has been a minor hum going on till recently it went horribly loud.
    It moderates between 45-50 mph loud.I ve tryed touching the brakes but its still hums.I also noticed in a right hand curve it quietens till I return to straight ahead steering,no vibration that I can feel in the steering, no exhaust leaks,my wife says it sounds like a plane goin down the road. lol.
    I was thinking wheel bearings.I would apreciate any experianced Ideas befor I go tearing into anything to find out its something else.Oh it does sound like "a straw in a bike spoke"if anyone has ever done that when they were a kid.lol./ Oh yeah 225,000 mi. this month.

Yes I would say that more than likely you have a wheel bearing assembly going out. I've done both sides in my '94 Park Ave. They are not hard to do but the units are kind of expensive if you have anti lock brakes as the speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing unit. It's a pain trying to definitively find out which side is making the noise from the drivers seat. If the car is high miles and you plan to keep it you might as well do both sides as the other is probably not for behind it. My experience has been, do one side and then a couple months later the other side starts howling.

My Park Ave, 261,000 miles, needing a little TLC though. My Mom's '95 Skylark,317,000 and still going. Gotta love 'em, take care of them and they last for a hell of a long time!