- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: BIG BIG BIG Question

BIG BIG BIG Question

After watching the crew on TV rebuild a late 60s MOPAR engine, they used the original vibration damper on the crank because they didn't change anything that was attached to the crank, and the damper had been factory balanced - vs the one in the rebuild kit, that would have thrown out the balance of the engine, I am concerned about the new timing gear/chain set. The original main gear is counter-weighted - the new one is not.

The guys on Muscle Car said that if they had used the unbalanced damper, it would be a short while before the crank/rod bearings would fail, and the engine would come apart.

ANY/ALL input would be appreciated.

My "little" 300 sounds/runs good, but I've only had it fired up a few mins at a time.
    I got the oil pressure back up by using the pressure release valve spring out of the original oil pump. it was 1/2" longer than the one in the rebuild kit.

Butch
    64 LeSabre
    64 Wildcat

harmonic dampeners

hers an explanation what a dampener does, and there has been much improvements on them.

http://www.spiderautomotive.com/balancer.html

What are you concerned about? What was said about the counterweighted dampers is true for any engine. If you need one with a counter weight and you don't use one the engine will shake itself to the point where damage will occur. Your reference to your timing set is confusing to say the least. I have never seen or heard of a counter weighted timing gear in my life. At least not on any modern engine designed since the 40's. If you re installed the original damper for your 300 with a new timing set you will not have any problems. Provided you installed them correctly. I have seen and felt engines that are having this kind or a balance problem. You would know it right away if it was happening on your 300.

Don't ya just love it when someone talks to you like you're a complete idiot...

The original main timing gear was 1/2 solid, 1/2 with just a spoke.. one would assume that the one solid half weighs more than the half with just a spoke in it. ie, a counter balance of some sort... the rebuild kit's main gear is equally spoked, so the assumption, again, is that it is perfectly balanced.

Henceforth, I will save my curiosities for the guys at the local speed shop - they are mostly Chevy guys, but they are pleasant to talk to