- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam for a 425 with Dual Quad

Cam for a 425 with Dual Quad

I am rebuilding a 425. I am adding a factory Dual Quad manifold & carbs. Any suggestions for a Camshaft that is a little hotter than stock?
    Thanks in advance!

Check out the Nailhead cam selection at http://www.taperformance.com. I think they are it for new cams , but there are others that will regrind old cams on a smaller lobe circle.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks for the info!

I recommend Carmen Faso 716-693-4090
    He has NH cams and knows them well.

TN
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

I bought the TA-20 from TA Performance for my 66 425 dual quad engine. I have not run it yet so I can't give you any real life feedback. I researched the heck out of cams for this engine. I was trying to stick close to stock with a light increase in performance. I talked to a few people but most of the knowledge/experience out there was geared towards a achieving a significant performance increase and that didn't help me much because I was trying to match the original dual quad specs.

Another good source is Schneider Racing. http://schneidercams.com/364401425hy...camshafts.aspx
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/

Thanks Boys!

nailhead cams

Go with what Ted says,,, contact Carmen....
    A lot of guys try to put big carbs or multiple carbs on engines without having a good hot cam ,,,, and that dont work out too good.... first , put a good cam,,, dont over cam the engine and then put the enhanced induction system...and unless you are doing all out racing at the strip,,,, keep the exhaust heat in the manifold to make this cat pee gas flash off the inside of the intake into a vapor....liquid fuel will not burn,,,, let me repeat, liquid fuel will not burn,,,, so also make sure the ignition system is spot on also,,,,,
    so many times I have seen guys take a basic stock engine and throw a set of dual quads on it and have it fall on its face when they nail it because of all the fuel dumped into the intake that is still liquid... then it takes a while for the engine to clear its self out enough to start runningl.... I recently tried out a so called ''super cat'' engine that did not have a performance cam in it and my 64 riv with the little 600 cfm holley on it would run circles around it...

Can anyone comment on the new Comp Cams Thumper series cams for Nailheads?...currently I have a Ken Belle Mk2 cam installed but have yet to break-in my 425 dual quad nailhead..
    The thought of my 64 Riv's idle serenly Thumpin' gets my heart pumpin'!

cams....

I have run kb cams and comp cams,,,, I would stick with the kb cams....

Unlike Doc, I'm a Comp Cam fan. BTW-There are more nailhead grinds available than just the Thumper series! Everyone is going to have their own opinions on brands of cams, however what really matters is the profile specs. You can get cam blanks ground to whatever you want. Yes, I am running a resurected (once highly secretive) Comp Cam profile in my 425 dual quad.

There was a thread over on the V8Buick dot com site that we were comparing all different cam profiles on a computer simulator desktop dyno. You know something like THAT wasn't available to the Buick engineers back then! Walt and Andy spent many more hours playing around with it than I did using Nailhead engine parameters with various cams. There was some pretty conclusive evidence to glean from that experience once I got the hang of it. Walt also has another thread over there with everyone posting their cam specs (including mine). Worth checking out, anyway...

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)