Thread: Newbie brake question

Newbie brake question

Just got ahold of a 62 LeSabre with manual brakes. The master cylinder is bad (cracked). Since I must replace it I might as well do a power brake upgrade. What models will fit the 62 or what is the best way to do this thanks

I just priced master cylinders and boosters.

just google "power brake boosters" first page will give you ten-twelve sites. then you can look for one that will fit your car.

I have searched and have not found a booster for a 62 lesabre
    that is why I asked. I am looking to find what other models or years
    would be a bolt on.

try "Nationwide Auto Parts"

Appreciate the help wildkitty no matter where I look I do not find a booster for a 62 lesabre. I can find a master cylinder for power steering, but no one for manual brakes. This is why I am asking for other years and models I can swap with the 62.

now Im confused - I thought youo wanted to go with a booster and new mastercylinder. Nationwide has an identical 8" booster and mastercylinder for my 64 LeSabre.

I got the disc brake settup for the LeSabre from a Chevy Astro van. the booster is 12" diameter, so I'm going with a new 8" (only putting disc on the front) - will use the partioning valve from the Astro but I understand I don't really need it for just the fronts.

th new mastersylinders have the plastic bowls, so I will use the dual MC from the astro. most MCs will bolt to any booster, the only thing you gotta make sure is that the plunger rod is the right length.

you might have to make a new bolt on plate for the booster to fasten it to the firewall, there's a lotta pressure on the firewall when braking and I don't think the four bolts on the booster are enough. the plate spreads the pressure over a larger area of the firewall.

it's a pretty easy modification; measure several times, draw templates and only drill holes once....

Eastwood has brake lines and kits to fab your own.

oh yea yoou can also buy the package (booster and MC) on Nationwide, your only concern is hood clearance and space between the booster/mc and steering.

I've done 100s hours of puter research on just about everything on the 64 buicks I have the two, and am giving them to my daughters, so they have to be perfect; get up and go and stop.. the get up and go was the easy part...
    Butch

Thanks Man that does help clear u some question appreciate it