Thread: Settle an argument

Settle an argument

I would like to install 1970 455 with a Turbo 400 into my 1966 LeSabre. Dimensions are included:

ENGINE
    DisplacementMax.LengthHeightOilStarterWeight
    WidthSumpBuick SB V8
    35028 ˝"30 ˝"28 ˝"RearRight450
    Buick BB V8
    400, 430, 45528"30"30"RearRight600

Can I use stock 455 mounts locating them in place of the 340 mounts or do
    I need to relocate them an the Trans mounts

Cool

on my 67SKY GS400 I used same motor mounts to install 70 455. Had to drill new holes in center of cross member for the TH400. Holes were already in frame rails to locate for the short tail shaft. Hope this helps. I'm no pro but I have done almost all the work on my cars and trucks starting with 60 Ford 250 in 66 and my next but long gone 66 Olds 442 in 70.

Mounts

I haven't tried this particular swap, but it my be similar to the others. The 455 motor mounts will work, but you will need different frame pads. Before you pull the engine out of the 66, measure where the crank centerline sits as compared vertically and Left and Right to get the 455 set in at approximately the same angle. I have taken the 455 mounts and frame pads from the big body car, and bolted them to the mounts on the engine, and set the engine in place and marked their position, or spot welded them so they stay put, then removed the engine and drilled new bolt holes in the frame for the frame pads. Using the small car 455 pads makes the engine sit too low and if you use the big car pads in the small body [skylark], the engine sits too high. I don't think the nailhead pads will work for the swap, and I don't think anybody makes a pad for this swap. I've been wrong before.
    Doug