Thread: pontiac axle on my buick?

pontiac axle on my buick?

I am in the middle of going through the drive train on my 455 lesabre it's a 1970.I have what appears to be a 12 bolt pontiac rear end.The dif. cover is a 10 bolt,the ring gear is a 12 bolt measures somewhere between 9 3/8 and 9 1/2 inches. The code(PG) is on the drivers side of the axle housing,possible pontiac with detroit axle and gear ?The problem I have encountered is the rear wheel bearings do not apear to exist for this housing. outside dia. is 3.25in on the sealed assembly,number on bearing is 88131 ndh.I have a bearing guy making me a new pair at this point.Local gm dealer figured that this axle was only made for 2 years 68,69 any body have any thoughts on this setup

the ring gear is a 12 bolt measures somewhere between 9 3/8 and 9 1/2 inches.

it's a 9 3/8". there is also an 8 7/8" Olds axle which was used in the 1971-76 big cars.

none of these rear ends have new gear sets available for them although you can get bearing sets for the newer rears.

Local gm dealer figured that this axle was only made for 2 years 68,69

that specific version of the 9 3/8" was only made from 1968 to 1970. there is another version which Pontiac was producing up to 1976.

i think the older version has different size bearings from driver side to passenger side while the newer housing uses like size bearings on both sides?

any body have any thoughts on this setup

the 1971-76 large cars have an 8.5" GM axle ( with the bog standard 8.5" gear and bearing sets ) available. it came in the small block B-body cars like the Le Sabre.

i have no idea how the 71-76 stuff compares to your car ( width, mounting points, etc ), but if i were you i would try to find a similar lighter duty rear end housing.

less rotating weight means less parasitic power loss and there are LOTS more parts available.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob thanx for the info .Just need to clarifie, the ring gear outside od. is used to determine size or is it the id.? On the thought of changing out the rear end I had the same thoughts,but that wont happen until something breaks,as getting a pair of bearings madeup is cheaper than the wheelbearings that are generaly in the lesabre and the seals are are a standard size.Brake assembly seams to be consistant with other lesabre configurations.After I go stage 1 things may change and I will probably be keeping my eye open in the mean time for doner parts.Just a note to anyone encountering this we are using bearings from a 1/2 ton ford p/u (would like to have gone with GM parts but bearing guy recomended these)I believe 1978.and buildin them up to spec.

ah, the bearing guy is making you new BEARING RACES and using an existing bearing application. that makes a lot more sense.

the ring gear outside od. is used to determine size or is it the id.?

OD.

that wont happen until something breaks

that is the one good thing about those Pontiac axles. as long as you keep them well maintained, they seem to be unbreakable.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)