From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Bumper coating

Bumper coating

I just got my 66 skylark front bumper back from being chrome plated. The back side is bare metal. What would be the best thing to use to keep it from rusting on the back side? paint, undercoating? Thanks

I have used POR 15, probably not correctly for that. I think depending on other answeres you get, I would use a primer and silver/aluminum paint.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Use Eastwood's Rust encapsulator, followed by your choice of color. I did the top and bottom of my floor pans with it and no regrets, it works great.
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

For the metal body go for anti rust under coating.it would be better than paint job.

I have heard good things about por-15 , but have not tried it. It may be a good way to go. You are going to have residual nickel on the back of the bumper which is difficult to get adhesion on. I would suggest you do the following. I put this system on the backs of the bumpers and all chrome pieces on a 57 chevy I just finished for a customer. The car is going to Hawaii and I was very concerned about the salt air and resulting corrosion.

a. prep surface by sanding with 120 grit (if the bumpers were blasted before rechroming ignore this step you should have a nice toothy surface already.)
    b. clean with warm soapy water and blow dry (do not let the water sit on bare metal for any length of time)
    c. follow step b up with a good dousing of wax and grease remover, this will remove any silicone the soap may have in it
    d. hit it with 2 to 3 good coats of epoxy primer
    e. follow that with 2 coats of a paintable undercoat
    f. lastly 2 to 3 coats of Endura. This is a product that it usually used to paint oil rigs and aircraft. It is a dream to spray and hard as nails when fully cured. You will find you need several coats because the undercoat dries to a very bumpy rough surface in a spray bomb version. If you use a shutlz gun for the undercoat you can thin it down with mineral spirits and get it to lay down o.k.
    Last edited by d.c.; 04-28-2010 at 08:50 PM.