Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is "Riviera" synonymous with "hardtop"?

Is "Riviera" synonymous with "hardtop"?

Okay, pretty basic question here. I have always thought that in early Buick-speak, Riviera referred to any model that was a hardtop, i.e, pillarless. Be it a Special, a Century, a Super or a Roadmaster.

However, I had someone arguing this point that the Riviera was something entirely different at a car show recently. Quite rudely as a matter of act.

Wikipedia verifies that what I think is correct, however there is no guarantee that Wikipedia is right.

So, what do the Buick experts say?

And oh yeah, as soon I as I move into my new house, I start the teardown on the Special. Should be fun, since it needs so much metal...

Your basic understanding is correct. Buick started using the name Riviera with the introduction of the 1949 Pillarless hardtop coupe in the Roadmaster line. They then used to describe any pillarless hardtoop 2dr or 4dr. In 1960 there was an Electra 225 4dr harttop that wasn't referred to as a Riviera, but there was another 4dr sedan that was refered to as a Riviera. ??????? In 63, the name was given to the new 4700 model and remained the name of that model through 1999.

The name has appeared on some concept models recently, most recently from China. Look through the Reference section in the tool bar and you can find each years production figures which include the Riviera models.

Isnt' it amazing that the less someone knows, the more adamant and rude he can be in spouting his ignorance. Someone once compared this to the speed of light and the speed of sound. "He looked bright until he opened his mouth."

Ed

I am sitting here looking at a Buick workshop manual for my 1958 Special and it lists 4 door and 2 door Riveria in all series cars. So what you are saying is backuped by the official workshop manual.

Can scan it and e-mail it to you if you would like.

Regards
    Peter

What's the difference between a '49 Roadmaster Convertible and a '49 Roadmaster Riviera Convertible?
    http://www.bluemooncars.co.uk - Classic Buick wedding cars in the UK

Is Riviera synonymous with hard top

Up to a point, and then Buick had an entire line of just Rivieras.

Here is a photo of my 98 Riviera. (just click on Straight Eight at the top of this answer, and then click public profile) It IS a Riviera, and yet has a center post.
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 04-03-2010 at 02:06 PM.

In '63 when the name Rivera was applied to a unique model rather than to a style as it had been earlier, the name made no reference to whether or not it was pillarless or had pillars, it then became a new unique model of Buick to go along with the Electra, Wildcat, LeSabre, Invicta, and the smaller Special. Sinces then it was called Riviera no matter the configuration of the windows or the presence of a pillar. Since '63 the name Riviera has not been used by Buick for anything other than the one model. It will be interesting to see if Buick resurrects the name, what the style/model might be.

In '49 the name Riviera was applied to what amounted to a hardtop with o pillar that resembled a convertible; hence they called it a Riviera "Hardtop Convertible", not to be confused with the actual "rag top" convertible. Take into consideration that up until 1963, the name Riviera was more of a marketing tool than anything else. It would be used anytime Buick wanted to suggest some kind of elegance.

Yes but....

Yes but...if you take a look at this ad: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18427 this is described as a "Riviera Convertible" and even mentions the fact that it's different to a standard one in the accompanying blurb. So is this advert wrong or is there really a difference between the '49 Roadmaster Convertible and the '49 Riviera Roadmaster Convertible and if so, what is it?

For 1952 in the Buick shop manual All Super and Roadmaster Sedans are listed as "Riviera".

The name Riviera was synonymous with "Pillarless" which is the Buick term used for Hardtop. That is the way it was until, as stated earlier the Riviera was presented as a model in 1963. Buick gave the name Riviera to the new Sports model because they would only offer it in one model, a 2dr hardtop.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

In Chris Wolfe's book, Buick Riviera 1963 - 1973, the author relates a story about one of the Buick big wig's wife, Sarah Ragsdale, and the Riviera Hardtop Convertible. This womany got a new Roadmaster convertible every year. However she never put the top down. When asked why, she responded to the effect that "...with the top down, the wind messes up my hair." She was then asked why get a convertible if she never put the top down. Her reply was to the effect of "...I like the looks of the car with all the windows down." Her husband, Edward Ragsdale, an engineer in charge of Buick body design, thought "...that's what Buick needs, a 'hardtop convertible.'" The Riviera name was given to his concept of his wife's vision of a hardtop that looked like a convertible when the windows were down. Buick used this as a marketing ploy in selling their new Roadmaster Riviera two door hardtop.

The author goes on to say that the name Riviera was used by Buick anytime they wanted to market a certain appeal to prospective buyers. The '59 Buick was kind of a sales flop for Buick. It was the first year for a radical new style and the '59 was the first Buick to not have venti-ports. In '60, the ventiports were back, and there were many, many styles with the name Riviera attached to them; sales came back up.

When the new personal luxury model was introduced in '63, what other name could Buick use for their new car. Buick then continued to use that name on any 2 door personal luxury car they built through 1999 regardless of the fact that they had pillars or not.

Ed